Quality Control

Got something to discuss that's not about Blackmagic products? Then check out the Off-Topic forum!
  • Author

mattprince

Quality Control

PostMon Jun 20, 2022 4:34 pm

Well, I had the original bmpcc4k and had nothing but problems trying to get one. When I did get one I had nothing but issues with it. Sold it and moved back to Panasonic. After a year or so I thought I'd give Blackmagic another try and spent £3k on a bmpcc6k pro, evf, grip, batteries etc and after seeing mostly glowing reviews of it I thought I'd be fine.

Went to do a wedding 2wks ago and about 5 mins before the bride was about to walk down the aisle, the camera screen goes black. Fans blaring, tried everything to get it to work but nothing. Wouldn't turn off. Wouldn't turn on. In the end I had to strip down the whole rig to take the internal battery out, follow focus off, monitor off, top handle off, cage off, grip off, battery out. Pulled the battery, counted to 10 and reinserted it and it seemed to come back on.

By now the bride was halfway down the aisle and I'd missed most of the shot. To say the bride and groom are gutted is an understatement and if they weren't friends of the family I'd dare say I'd have been sued by now.

This is completely unacceptable. Up to this purchase I had 2x Panasonic S1 cameras that never missed a beat. In fact I've NEVER had to use theb2ns body on every shoot I've done as they are so reliable.

mattprince

Re: Quality Control

PostMon Jun 20, 2022 6:24 pm

To add if I didn't have the Panasonic S1 with me to finish the shoot, I'd have been stuffed if this happened again. Couldn't trust the Blackmagic from that moment on and it was returned as faulty. Sticking with Panasonic forever now.

Ellory Yu

PostMon Jun 20, 2022 9:56 pm

Just stick to Panasonic then.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Chris Leutger

PostWed Jun 22, 2022 6:04 pm

What's unclear from this anecdote is how baked in the process was with the camera before going to the wedding. And of course, if the Panasonic is so good, why'd you make the move to BM instead of moving up to the S1H?

For my own work, I've been using a Blackmagic Pocket since 2013 and never had any issues. Go figure.
Amateur Auteur

AMD 7800X3d 8c 5 GHz - GSkill DDR5-6000 (EXPO) 32x2
Nvidia 1080 Ti 8GB - WD SN850x 2 TB
Resolve 18.5 - Ubuntu 22.04

carlomacchiavello

PostWed Jun 22, 2022 9:48 pm

It’s matter of luck, I had fault with arri Alexa, redOne, Panasonic, Sony and Jvc cameras, but I never stop to use them, can happen and this is a resina that every good photographer had two body to do the work where a camera can fault.
Quality check fault? No, simple not lucky camera…

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Jim Simon

PostThu Jun 30, 2022 5:43 pm

Thankfully, Matt's experience seems to be the exception, not the norm.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Leon Benzakein

PostFri Jul 01, 2022 2:01 pm

My condolences.

I feel your pain.
Television: Lighting/Cameraman, O.B. Camera Operator, Experience in EFP, EPG and ENG , Grip, Lamp Operator
Film: Grip, Lamp Operator
Theater: Lighting Designer, Light board Operator, Stage Electrician, Stage Management

Return to Off-Topic