Formatting SSD

Got something to discuss that's not about Blackmagic products? Then check out the Off-Topic forum!
  • Author

Ellory Yu

Formatting SSD

PostMon Nov 28, 2022 2:55 pm

It is my understanding that frequent formatting of SSD media is not ideal and shortens the lifespan of media. In the case of using SSD with the BM Cameras, recycling the SSD after every project means formatting the media. Is it okay to just format the SSD each time or should we be just clearing out the space by deleting the files (using a computer)? I think the latter could lead to fragmentation and therefore affects the performance of the media. What are your experiences and thoughts?
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Alex=Alex

Re: Formatting SSD

PostMon Nov 28, 2022 3:58 pm

I don't know about the differences between formatting or deleting files manually, but my school formats the ssds after every project, and there are hundreds a year. You will be fine.
Inside the box? I didn't know about any box...

carlomacchiavello

PostMon Nov 28, 2022 9:43 pm

Ssd had a limited number of writing cycle of cells, but is a matter with a computer where there are millions of files written during years, for our use of ssd for videos we are safe.

I ever format ssd before every work, to be sure that I had clean support to write on.

I had some old ssd san disk extreme bought in 2014 for production camera 4K, use later to shoot with Ursa Mini proG1 60p uncompressed cdng, and today braw with Ursa Mini Pro and pockets 6k g1, near 8 years of work, and are perfectly sane.
Every year I did test to check cells and at today are all perfect.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

carlomacchiavello

PostMon Nov 28, 2022 9:43 pm

Ssd had a limited number of writing cycle of cells, but is a matter with a computer where there are millions of files written during years, for our use of ssd for videos we are safe.

I ever format ssd before every work, to be sure that I had clean support to write on.

I had some old ssd san disk extreme bought in 2014 for production camera 4K, use later to shoot with Ursa Mini proG1 60p uncompressed cdng, and today braw with Ursa Mini Pro and pockets 6k g1, near 8 years of work, and are perfectly sane.
Every year I did test to check cells and at today are all perfect.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Ellory Yu

PostTue Nov 29, 2022 1:21 am

Thanks for sharing your experiences.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Return to Off-Topic