Buying used Blackmagic gear and Warranty

Got something to discuss that's not about Blackmagic products? Then check out the Off-Topic forum!
  • Author

masterfpt

Buying used Blackmagic gear and Warranty

PostSun Jan 15, 2023 9:58 pm

Hello guys, new here. I've been shooting with a bmpcc4k for two years and absolutely loving it.

Now I want to upgrade for a Pocket 6k used on ebay for double the price but I'd like to know if anything wrong happens with the camera, will blackmagic provide warranty for this product?

The sellers says European countries give 24-months full warranty for any sold products and himself can provide warranty, but I want to ensure BM can give it too.

Thanks in advance.
João

carlomacchiavello

Re: Buying used Blackmagic gear and Warranty

PostSat Jan 21, 2023 4:06 pm

could you tell us more about "for double of price"?
Usually i buy used tool to have less expansive price.
anyway if you reiceve the proof of date of buying (the bill, the invoice) you can have the warranty, i just did in past and with invoice i reiceved the support.

BUT .. pay attention that in europe are 24 months for private buyer, 12 monts for professional who buy with vat number.

Videobegin

PostSat Jan 21, 2023 7:12 pm

I met another problem with shipping companies : as individual, they didn't want to bother with dedicated customs procedure to return product under free taxes.
So I have to pay VAT computed like a new product :twisted: as GB leaved us.

BMD was very reactive but against system :oops:

Take care fior private sales between individuals.

My device was never repaired :( :( :(
Last edited by Videobegin on Sun Jan 22, 2023 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ellory Yu

PostSat Jan 21, 2023 10:28 pm

masterfpt wrote:The sellers says European countries give 24-months full warranty for any sold products and himself can provide warranty, but I want to ensure BM can give it too.

I guess that is the consumer law in Europe by not here in the USA. Once the warranty expires, it is no longer covered. In the USA, you have to provide a copy of the original buyer receipt too so the warranty is from the date that the original buyer purchased it. This is true even if the sale was made in Europe.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

carlomacchiavello

PostSun Jan 22, 2023 6:32 pm

Videobegin wrote:I met another problem with shipping companies : as individual, they didn't want to bother with dedicated customs procedure to return product under free taxes.
So I have to pay VAT computed like a new product :twisted: as GB leaved us.

BMD was very reactive but against system :oops:

Take care fior private sales between individuals.

My device was never repaired :( :( :(

when I needed to have my video assist repaired, i contacted bmd, and they organized everything themselves with the courier.
contact directly bmd assistance, it's the right way.

Videobegin

PostSun Jan 22, 2023 7:02 pm

carlomacchiavello wrote:contact directly bmd assistance, it's the right way.
hi Carlo,
I was in touch with them (hello Jay!), but as a private sale, you can't have invoice with VAT, but only a receipt. Courier had refused to use dedicate procedure (carnet ATA) for temporary importation.

No problem when you buy second hands product from a company.

In 1789, Benjamin Franklin wrote "in this world, nothing is certain except death and taxes," :mrgreen:

Jim Simon

PostThu Jan 26, 2023 4:54 pm

I don't live in Europe. In the US, warranty normally applies only to the original purchase.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

carlomacchiavello

PostThu Jan 26, 2023 7:35 pm

Jim Simon wrote:I don't live in Europe. In the US, warranty normally applies only to the original purchase.
In Europe is related to item, you should demonstrate the original invoice and no more…
i bought most of my gear used from private or shop that sell new and used and when I need to service them I simply show the original invoice.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

carlomacchiavello

PostSun Jan 29, 2023 8:51 am

Videobegin wrote:
carlomacchiavello wrote:contact directly bmd assistance, it's the right way.
hi Carlo,
I was in touch with them (hello Jay!), but as a private sale, you can't have invoice with VAT, but only a receipt. Courier had refused to use dedicate procedure (carnet ATA) for temporary importation.

No problem when you buy second hands product from a company.

In 1789, Benjamin Franklin wrote "in this world, nothing is certain except death and taxes," :mrgreen:
Mmm it’s a time for Blackmagic Design to move in Europe their office…

I’m a professional but sometimes I prefer to buy like private to have additional 12 month of warranty (the fool idea of Europe 24 month warranty for private, 12 for professional).

The idea that currier refuse to do temporary importation for a service warranty is absurd… if them not want to their work they should be replaced.
Mine it’snt a comment for you or for Blackmagic Design but for currier that not compile some pre made papers…

Videobegin

PostSun Jan 29, 2023 9:26 am

carlomacchiavello wrote:The idea that currier refuse to do temporary importation for a service warranty is absurd… if them not want to their work they should be replaced. Mine it’snt a comment for you or for Blackmagic Design but for currier that not compile some pre made papers…

I asked all major courriers and get same answer : if something goes wrong they have to pay taxes and they don't want to search after individuals to claim money.
carlomacchiavello wrote:Mmm it’s a time for Blackmagic Design to move in Europe their office…
My videohub have 1/2 screen burned so include a timing option for display may be THE preventive action. For curative action, open an office in west-eurasie like in France :lol: :lol:

carlomacchiavello

PostSun Jan 29, 2023 9:50 am

Videobegin wrote:I asked all major courriers and get same answer : if something goes wrong they have to pay taxes and they don't want to search after individuals to claim money.

If they pay taxes is ok. To be honest one’s time I should pay for an error of currier an importation of a USA monitor repaired (not Blackmagic Design) I pay more than the value of used monitor bought in eu, from that time I’m feared to pay importation taxes on used or repaired tool.

Ironically in Europe there are million of € introduced from Chinese market and thanks from dark importation in some European nation they sending without taxing…

Return to Off-Topic