Mac Catalina - can't upgrade to Big Sur or Ventura

Got something to discuss that's not about Blackmagic products? Then check out the Off-Topic forum!
  • Author

Pembroke

Mac Catalina - can't upgrade to Big Sur or Ventura

PostSat May 20, 2023 11:46 pm

My computer is below. I can't seem to upgrade my OS to Big Sur or Ventura. Will I need to have a SSD drive installed? Thanks, Kathy

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro16,1
Processor Name: 6-Core Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 2.6 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 6
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 12 MB
Hyper-Threading Technology: Enabled
Memory: 16 GB
Boot ROM Version: 1037.147.4.0.0 (iBridge: 17.16.16610.0.0,0)
Serial Number (system): C02DDA85MD6M
Hardware UUID: FEA5ABA8-CC94-5A90-870F-9B1498CEB832
Activation Lock Status: Enabled

rafaelrobertson

Re: Mac Catalina - can't upgrade to Big Sur or Ventura

PostSun May 28, 2023 10:09 pm

Pembroke wrote:My computer is below. I can't seem to upgrade my OS to Big Sur or Ventura. Will I need to have a SSD drive installed? Thanks, Kathy

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro16,1
Processor Name: 6-Core Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 2.6 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 6
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 12 MB skateboards guides
Hyper-Threading Technology: Enabled
Memory: 16 GB
Boot ROM Version: 1037.147.4.0.0 (iBridge: 17.16.16610.0.0,0)
Serial Number (system): C02DDA85MD6M
Hardware UUID: FEA5ABA8-CC94-5A90-870F-9B1498CEB832
Activation Lock Status: Enabled

your MacBook Pro model (MacBookPro16,1) should be compatible with macOS Big Sur and Monterey (Ventura is not a macOS version). However, there are a few factors to consider when upgrading your operating system:

Storage Space: Make sure you have enough free storage space on your existing drive to accommodate the installation of the new operating system. It is recommended to have at least 35-40 GB of free space for a smooth upgrade.

System Requirements: Check if your current macOS version meets the minimum system requirements for Big Sur or Monterey. macOS Big Sur requires a Mac with a T2 security chip, which your MacBook Pro model seems to have. However, Monterey has additional requirements, such as Metal support for graphics, which your Mac likely meets.

Software Compatibility: Ensure that the applications and software you rely on are compatible with the new macOS version. Some older or specialized software may not be fully compatible with the latest operating systems.

Regarding your question about needing an SSD drive, it's not mandatory for upgrading to Big Sur or Monterey. However, having an SSD (Solid-State Drive) can significantly improve the performance and responsiveness of your MacBook Pro. If you currently have a traditional hard drive (HDD), upgrading to an SSD can provide a noticeable speed boost.

Before upgrading your operating system, it's always a good idea to back up your important data and perform a thorough system backup. This ensures that you can restore your system in case of any issues during the upgrade process.

For a smooth and hassle-free upgrade, it is recommended to consult Apple's official documentation and support resources or reach out to Apple support directly for further guidance specific to your MacBook Pro model.

Howard Roll

Re: Mac Catalina - can't upgrade to Big Sur or Ventura

PostMon May 29, 2023 4:09 am

Check again, It's been over a decade since Apple offered a spinner on an MBP. According to Apple you should be able to upgrade to Ventura. Did you go to the update page?

https://www.apple.com/macos/ventura/

Good Luck

16.1.jpg
16.1.jpg (234.72 KiB) Viewed 1247 times

Return to Off-Topic