Time Lapse Video Recording

Got something to discuss that's not about Blackmagic products? Then check out the Off-Topic forum!
  • Author

eager to learn

Time Lapse Video Recording

PostWed Jun 07, 2023 8:05 pm

I'm in a time crunch (who isn't these days?!) but I'm trying to video record our 3D printer to help promote both 3D printing and the library.

Every You Tube video I've seen involved an iPhone or a Hollywood camera set up.

I'd like just a basic video so people walking by can see a video of a print job but at an accelerated speed as in standard print time it's like watching paint dry.

Have others recorded guide in Hyperlapse (on my Samsung - 5x up to 30x)?

Or recorded in standard video time and created the time lapse effect with free software?

Thank you.

Jim Simon

Re: Time Lapse Video Recording

PostSat Jun 10, 2023 2:12 pm

I use the timelapse feature in my Pocket 4K. Many cameras have such a feature.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Howard Roll

Re: Time Lapse Video Recording

PostSat Jun 10, 2023 9:54 pm

By Samsung do you mean phone? Ideally you use a lightweight cam that sits on the print bed or it's just going to be a bunch of freak out. There are Timelapse apps for most phones by now. You probably want the timelapse to be less than a minute so figure 30fpsX60 seconds = 1800 frames. Divide the print time by 1800 frames to get a good idea of the TL interval. My larger (still quite small) prints are in the 6-8 hour neighborhood so If I wanted to do a 1 minute TL of an 8 hour print (28,800 seconds) I'd need the camera to take a still every 16 seconds.

Good Luck

Return to Off-Topic