Question about an old PC hardware

Got something to discuss that's not about Blackmagic products? Then check out the Off-Topic forum!
  • Author

photofreak1988

Question about an old PC hardware

PostSun Nov 10, 2019 10:11 am

Hi guys,

So, I have an old motherboard (Gigabyte GA H81-M S2PV) that packs other old components such as my CPU (i5 4460). My problem is that I'm looking for more powerful CPU in order to improve my post production, and even gaming, because I play games sometimes. Apparently, for the current motherboard that I'm using, i7 4790 is the best option for me. Still definitely not the best for multitasking and post, yes, but I do not want to change my motherboard, yet. And it is compatible with Intel 4 gen Intel CPU only, as far as I know, which is the biggest problem. So I found i7 4790 for about 50.00 US, second hand. I'm just trying to avoid changing my motherboard, as I said. Because then I have to change the RAM, reinstall Windows, probably and other stuff, which I'm trying to avoid, also the money are involved in this situation... Is this my best option? i7-4790, from Intel 4th Gen CPU's?
Thanks guys.

Greg_E

Re: Question about an old PC hardware

PostTue Nov 12, 2019 7:55 pm

Changing your CPU may make Windows flag your install as non-genuine. In theory changing only one part is OK because it will sample the serial numbers for all the rest of the hardware and decide that you are still genuine, but not 100 percent on the processor change. If you change CPU and graphics card then you are fairly sure to be re-activating Windows, or calling Microsoft to explain what is happening, and then they will probably give you a code to re-activate.

The only way around this might be if you have an OEM system that has the product key embedded into the BIOS/EFI firmware of the board. This has worked for me in the past with Win8, never had a need to try with Win 10 yet. But if you built it yourself from parts, you may be out of luck.

photofreak1988

Re: Question about an old PC hardware

PostTue Nov 12, 2019 9:19 pm

I don't worry about the Windows key. I think it is stored on the motherboard anyway. Even if Windows is having issues with that I can always rebuy another genuine key from the web, as I did last time...

Return to Off-Topic