Cinema cameras equipped with sensors for VFX

Got something to discuss that's not about Blackmagic products? Then check out the Off-Topic forum!
  • Author

tom.my

Cinema cameras equipped with sensors for VFX

PostMon Mar 23, 2020 4:30 pm

Apple unveiled a new iPad Pro with a LiDAR scanner. Before asking what this has to do with Blackmagic Design, follow me for a moment and watch this video made by Apple: www[dot]instagram[dot]com/tv/B95cfpmHXvK/
It shows 4 different apps doing real-time VFX and compositing, thanks to iPad that knows where it is placed in space, how it is oriented and how far objects are from its camera.

Wouldn't it be cool if BM cameras had these sensors? Gyroscope, accelerometer, GPS, LiDAR scanner...
Wouldn't it be cooler if a .braw file from such cameras had 2 more tracks, one for position/orientation data and one for z-depth?
Imagine to import such file inside Fusion or After Effects and discover that you don't need to track your camera anymore.

Blackmagic has made raw video and DaVinci available to small productions and independent videographers and maybe this is the reason why the art of grading is so popular now.
Wouldn't it be awesome if visual effects could be more accessible?

carlomacchiavello

Re: Cinema cameras equipped with sensors for VFX

PostSun Mar 29, 2020 3:14 pm

be cause the precision for phone is quite different from precision needings for broadcast or movie vfx. most of app that do tracking and compositing real time are good on phone screen, if you record it and see on bigger screen you can see most of time bad precision.
may be that newer sensors give us better result, i hope like you, but developing and research behind phone is higher against small facility like bmd or also arri which produce a small numbers of unity.

tom.my

PostSun Mar 29, 2020 5:53 pm

You are right about precision, maybe a LiDAR scanner wouldn't be that good on a BMD camera, but a gyroscope and/or an accelerometer (to know how the camera is moving in space) would be already much useful for 3D camera tracking.

carlomacchiavello

PostMon Mar 30, 2020 6:48 pm

tom.my wrote:You are right about precision, maybe a LiDAR scanner wouldn't be that good on a BMD camera, but a gyroscope and/or an accelerometer (to know how the camera is moving in space) would be already much useful for 3D camera tracking.

you are right, i did a post about that addition on next bmd cameras :-D

Return to Off-Topic