Small camera phone design aspects!

Got something to discuss that's not about Blackmagic products? Then check out the Off-Topic forum!
  • Author

Wayne Steven

Small camera phone design aspects!

PostFri Apr 10, 2020 2:41 pm

I was thinking of doing a thread on design aspects of the size and shape of a small camera phone, but published the following in another thread:

I wish BM would do something significant like this 4 inch rugged phone, with better sensor and chipset. A bit smaller than an iPhone se, and a bit larger than my current small phone.

I can buy much smaller than this, maybe even a better sensor, and I doubt it's the world's smallest rugged phone. I've found a site that lists phone brands, better than the sites I used previously, but can't search it and it doesn't tell enough to estimate which ones are the best. I was thinking of doing a thread on design aspects to do with optimal minimal phone size for us. The iPhone SE, is a little big, my old Alcatel is smaller but probably still a bit big, but if narrower, like this form factor, it would be pretty good. Going from a 4 inch screen size to that size, is optimal for a pocket device? Steve Jobs and Ives paid a lot of attention to the optimal size and ratio that feels good, which I do too, it's not all about the most beautiful in functionally using. Rather like a post modern house that looks as good outside as it does inside, for a change. Anyway, the early iPhones were very optimal, the translation to widescreen suffered a little. Been thinking extensively about a small phone design aspects last month, to fit a 865+ into. The iPhone stuff was coincidental, the Alcatel and my old Huawei are nice. The issue is, for filming it needs to be a bit longer to feel optimal than as a phone. I have narrowed down a good sleek design language for it. Apart from fitting a snapdragon 865 in it (a low energy version of the 845/855 would probably be enough) I concluded one of my other older proposals would be better, as android systems are pretty bad for high datarate realtime deterministic processing, and it could achieve a lot lower energy consumption. It was to use a custom ASIC. Years ago, I identified using an ASIC chip alongside the chipset to do the performance aspects. Pity I didn't go through with it (the theoretically increasing performance of chipsets versus the limitations of my technology provider seemed to indicate no marketable use, except android systems and market place are so constrained as to not reach their potential). That means that I could use a cheap chipset alongside the chip to get maximum performance, now days, alongside a mid range chip instead. The chip would have a lot of other marketable processing uses, enough to be incorporated into future chipsets? About $10 mil and I didn't get to finish my design proposal before the brain disease slowed me too much. My latest cooling technology strategy for this could make a workstation fit into a fraction of the size. An Intel i9 phone anybody? Seriously, you are unlikely to get it out if a low clock on all cores, but an interesting excercise.
aIf you are not truthfully progressive, maybe you shouldn't say anything
bTruthful side topics in-line with or related to, the discussion accepted
cOften people deceive themselves so much they do not understand, even when the truth is explained to them

Wayne Steven

Re: Small camera phone design aspects!

PostTue Apr 14, 2020 12:30 pm

Ok. Studying the design spec of the original iPhone, it has a border around the black face of the phone. Doing a rough estimate of the ratio of the black face it is around 2:1, with the silver border it makes it look like a smaller narrower ratio 2:1 phone around 11cm in length. So, I was spot on. The hold of the phone probably feels better at it's size and ratio, but for widescreen, pocketability and filming, the size and shape of face of the original iPhone is better. A shame they missed this in developing the widescreen versions. With a widescreen pocketability that's well over 4 inches on the 3.5 inch phone. On extra wide filming, the thin black borders top and bottom can carry all the filming icon and status indicators. In 16:9, the black side bars can carry the icons and status. In viewing clips these bars can contain all the status controls. In 16:9 the size would still hit over 4 inches.

4 inch is an important size as it covers the field of view of a central part of vision sufficiently to estimate framing. I did testing on this, and the upper size for handheld filming is around 6 inches. It can be bigger or smaller, these are just optimal minmun sizes. Down to 3 inch is also good, and there is even an around 1 inch display on a stabiliser stick camera out there. It's surprising you can still understand the screen, but as far as understanding the detail and framing in detail, I wouldn't bother
I have plans to overcome that, but that's something else. My present smallest cinema camera technology design might he less than a handful of millimetres. There is decades of development coming. A favourite scene of mine from Babylon 5, is the interview episode on the station (not the exo-space one). It lines up with what I'm looking at, where we could be going. Years ago I was thinking into how to do floating dust cameras for volumetric filming. Anybody into that sort of technology would be quite alert at that. Think about it.

So, take a phone ratio wider or shorter than 16.9, measure the full screen space as 3 inch+ to 6 inch plus, and you have something to look at that is a good size for pocket filming. At 3 inches you are unlikely to get much of a chipset into it, so you need a better ASIC chip. I can get the 3 inch down to a few cubic centimetres, for even more compact carriage.

The point is an device which is shear beauty in most ways. Yes, you could fillm a feature on it, but it is really meant to be a personal pocket camera for professionals. Something you can whip out for anything, ebenna director's viewfinder, if you add 5+ 2mp sensors to emulate a lot of lenses. Thickness from millimetres+.
cOften people deceive themselves so much they do not understand, even when the truth is explained to them

Wayne Steven

Re: Small camera phone design aspects!

PostTue Apr 14, 2020 2:02 pm

The Cubot King Kong Mini aboveboard is just over 2:1 in shape. Shrunk to 11.5cm, it could contain a full display around the size of the Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact, around 4.6 inches.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Cubot-Kin ... 083.0.html

Return to Off-Topic