How to buy used camera

Got something to discuss that's not about Blackmagic products? Then check out the Off-Topic forum!
  • Author

Papakias7

How to buy used camera

PostTue Apr 14, 2020 7:09 pm

Hi there,

How can I know if a camera I am about to buy is not stolen? I have the serial number and camera number but dont know where to search.
Also what should I check first so as to identify potential faults? Its the bmpcc 6k

Denny Smith

Re: How to buy used camera

PostWed Apr 15, 2020 8:46 pm

Ask the seller for a copy of the camera purchase invoice. Also get is warranty thstnthe Camera is in correct working order. If buying through Amazon or EBay they offer item not as described insurance.
If the price is way below market price, or a deal too good to be true that is a red flag that something is not right.
Since you have the ser. no., you could run this past BMD Support to see when Camera was first sold and where. I do not know if they keep track of reported stolen cameras, but it’s worth asking your local BMD s
Support Office.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Papakias7

PostWed Apr 15, 2020 9:15 pm

Denny Smith wrote:Ask the seller for a copy of the camera purchase invoice. Also get is warranty thstnthe Camera is in correct working order. If buying through Amazon or EBay they offer item not as described insurance.
If the price is way below market price, or a deal too good to be true that is a red flag that something is not right.
Since you have the ser. no., you could run this past BMD Support to see when Camera was first sold and where. I do not know if they keep track of reported stolen cameras, but it’s worth asking your local BMD s
Support Office.
Cheers

There is no such an office in my country. Is there any way to contact them through internet? The camera has most probably been originally bought in Germany.

Denny Smith

PostThu Apr 16, 2020 12:53 am

Their is a regional BMD Support office in London, you can contact them through the Internet.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Papakias7

PostThu Apr 16, 2020 7:00 am

Thank you Denny!

carlomacchiavello

PostThu Apr 16, 2020 1:11 pm

sometimes somewhere i found stolen gear serial list, but often of people that i knwo never track serials of their tools, and when something was stolen it's too later.
last summer i sold my gh5, with box, invoice etc
one month ago buyer call me to know if i had serial be cause it was stolen from gh5, i trashed box and he missed invoice... lucky for him i still had serial and all infos, but he, the ledgit owner, not have it.

used camera it's a roulette, unfortunately i founded a stolen gear, with false invoice be cause when i try to get repaired i found that invoice was false and serial was signed for stolen tool from shop. i was lucky, i only payed a repair, be cause in italy also if you not know, if you buy stolen things, is a receiving stolen goods, and it's criminal offence; and obviously if the original owner has reported the theft, you must give to him the product ...
usually i prefer to buy from people i know, from used shop, by payment way that i can grab back money (paypal).
Anyway, ask for serial before, usually if is theft people don't give you serial or avoid it. Naturally check later that what give you had same serial (happened to me).
Verify the reputation of guy (web and not only), and ... when i sell and buy i ask to exchange a identity card, to be sure that if someone try to fake me, i can found it. If someone not want to give you infos, is suspect.

i'm italian, i'm from genoa, merchant people, here there is a mood "if it's too good to be a business, it's theft, forget it".

Return to Off-Topic