New Sony A7 S III. The new standard.

Got something to discuss that's not about Blackmagic products? Then check out the Off-Topic forum!
  • Author

JonPais

Re: New Sony A7 S III. The new standard.

PostThu Dec 24, 2020 2:46 am

https://daejeonchronicles.com

Olivier Burri

PostFri Dec 25, 2020 8:51 am

Eugenia Loli wrote:
For color and texture, '50s Technicolor is the gold standard to me. You might not like it, but that's what I strive for.

So true
Olivier G. Burri

Olivier Burri

PostFri Dec 25, 2020 9:18 am

WahWay wrote:Bloom's review

The waxy consumer processed look is allover the A7SIII footage

I cannot believe why people are constantly hyping Sony gear (including my oldest son who happens to be a director).

These guys know perfectly well how to build solid studios and ENG cams but their color science is stuck in the VHS era.

I love RED, Arri and BMD but avoid Sony heavily processed look at all costs.

Olivier G. Burri

dondidnod

PostFri Dec 25, 2020 12:18 pm

I came across this shootout where the BMPCC 6K looked pretty good against a $4400 USD A7S III with Ninja V recorder.

He couldn't find the 15 stops of dynamic range in ProRes raw, and liked the 6K better. The 6K had better color and highlight recovery and he disliked Apple's support of ProRes raw.

Sony A7S III vs Bmpcc 6k w/ Downloadable Files
https://www.reddit.com/r/videography/co ... ble_files/

I've also heard that there is no control over white balance or ISO with ProRes raw in FCPX.

Atomos Ninja V Firmware Updated for Sony a7S III 16-bit Raw Output
https://fstoppers.com/gear/atomos-ninja ... put-518831

Sorry if I spoiled your Christmas present.
Last edited by dondidnod on Fri Dec 25, 2020 1:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.

deezid

PostFri Dec 25, 2020 12:52 pm

dondidnod wrote:I came across this shootout where the BMPCC 6K looked pretty good against a $4400 USD A7S III with Ninja V recorder.

He couldn't find the 15 stops of dynamic range in ProRes raw, and liked the 6K better. The 6K had better color and highlight recovery and he disliked Apple's support of ProRes raw.

Sony A7S III vs Bmpcc 6k w/ Downloadable Files
https://www.reddit.com/r/videography/co ... ble_files/

I've also heard that there is no control over white balance or ISO with ProRes raw in FCX.

The A7sIII is quite a disappointment indeed, weak available latitude and color issues.
On my S1H ProRes works flawlessly though, with ISO/Exposure, WB/Tint and other options properly implemented and great DR.
Download my 55M Advanced Luts for the Pocket 4K and 6K and UMP12K here:
https://55media.net/55mluts/

robedge

PostFri Dec 25, 2020 1:01 pm

dondidnod wrote:I came across this shootout where the BMPCC 6K looked pretty good against a $4400 USD A7S III with Ninja V recorder.

He couldn't find the 15 stops of dynamic range in ProRes raw, and liked the 6K better. The 6K had better color and highlight recovery and he disliked Apple's support of ProRes raw...

I can't stop laughing. That guy has 12.9K subscribers after 11 years on YouTube. It isn't for want of trying. He's published 225 videos in the last year alone. In the last two weeks, he's published 10 videos - yes, 10 - dedicated to bashing the Sony camera and ProRes while extolling the Blackmagic Pocket 6K. Oh, and he makes a point of saying that if one wants "scientific testing", look elsewhere. On the upside, it's a great channel if one wants to learn what happens when someone who badly needs a pop filter doesn't use one.

Okey doke :)

deezid

PostFri Dec 25, 2020 5:35 pm

Download the samples and look for yourself, also look at other reviews by slashcam, proav, cvp, cineD etc.
Just because your favorite YouTubers declare the A7sIII the best camera ever made and Sony says: "BuT iT hAs 15 StOps", doesn't mean that's true.

The internal processing is pretty much as garbage as on any Sony Alpha camera ever entered the market before, which means you will have to deal with heavy noise reduction artifacts, which can be only avoided by either shooting external ProRes RAW or by overexposing by at least 2 stops.

Usable latitude is about 2 stops lower than its 12 bit ADC video readout competition, which includes the Pocket 4K/6K, S1H/S5/S1, EVA-1, FX6/9, MAVO LF etc.

robedge

PostFri Dec 25, 2020 6:42 pm

deezid wrote:Just because your favorite YouTubers declare the A7sIII the best camera ever made...

Now I don't know what's funnier, the idea that that's a credible, objective YouTube channel combined with the charming Christmas sentiment "Sorry if I spoiled your Christmas present", or you implying that I'm a Sony fanboy while engaging in your own Sony bashing.

The Leica M primes referred to in my signature, while I use them with a Pocket 4K, are for a 1956 Leica M3 and a 2014 Leica M 240. The only Sony camera that I have ever owned is an RX0. It's the same size as a GoPro and kinda fits better than would my Pocket 4K on my motorcycle helmet and in a small-airplane cockpit :)

I do think that the RX0 is a pretty cool camera:

And I sure can't do this with a Pocket 4K:

JonPais

PostSat Dec 26, 2020 5:11 am

deezid wrote:Download the samples and look for yourself, also look at other reviews by slashcam, proav, cvp, cineD etc.
Just because your favorite YouTubers declare the A7sIII the best camera ever made and Sony says: "BuT iT hAs 15 StOps", doesn't mean that's true.

The internal processing is pretty much as garbage as on any Sony Alpha camera ever entered the market before, which means you will have to deal with heavy noise reduction artifacts, which can be only avoided by either shooting external ProRes RAW or by overexposing by at least 2 stops.

Usable latitude is about 2 stops lower than its 12 bit ADC video readout competition, which includes the Pocket 4K/6K, S1H/S5/S1, EVA-1, FX6/9, MAVO LF etc.

No need to download samples or read reviews since we already own the camera - and the image quality is pretty sensational. It can however be quite instructive to have a look at the videos being produced by those who for whatever reason feel the need to pronounce the camera garbage at every opportunity in every online forum, if only to better evaluate their own qualifications. The same attacks by the same handful of individuals can be found polluting virtually every discussion of Sony, whether in the comments section of YouTube videos or - incredible as it may seem - even at Sony rumor sites! hehe

deezid

PostSat Dec 26, 2020 10:54 am

JonPais wrote:
deezid wrote:Download the samples and look for yourself, also look at other reviews by slashcam, proav, cvp, cineD etc.

No need to download samples or read reviews since we already own the camera - and the image quality is pretty sensational. It can however be quite instructive to have a look at the videos being produced by those who for whatever reason feel the need to pronounce the camera garbage at every opportunity in every online forum, if only to better evaluate their own qualifications. The same attacks by the same handful of individuals can be found polluting virtually every discussion of Sony, whether in the comments section of YouTube videos or - incredible as it may seem - even at Sony rumor sites! hehe

I guess if your standards are that low, congrats?

John Griffin

PostSat Dec 26, 2020 11:22 am

Difficult to understand why these 2 cameras are in any comparison seeing as they have very little in common with each other. All modern cameras have exceptionally good performance these days so maybe in 2021 it’s time to stop talking about them in competitive terms and just share the knowledge of how to use them to achieve your film making goals (assuming your filmmaking goals are not a YouTube channel dedicated to this cameras vs another camera......)

Overlander

PostSat Dec 26, 2020 6:45 pm

Love it John - who needs more comparisons. When we watch a film do we really care what camera it was shot on? Maybe, sometimes, but only because we are anal photographers. A cohort of mine recently posted a remarkable photo of an Ice Bear, a grizzly diving for salmon and covered in ice. Folks wanted to know what camera he used. Two years of study, countless days and nights at sub zero, building camera traps and lighting rigs and on and on and they want to know if it was a Canon or Nikon! Like one photog used to post: X camera, f8, 1/60th, x lens etc. , and then he would add: "waiting for the light, 4 hours".

pnguyen720

PostMon Dec 28, 2020 9:45 pm

Coming from a Pocket 4K and 6K user...

Did a week shoot with the A7S III and was really impressed with it. Usability wise, it's terrific.

The codec, DR and color are definitely good enough for YouTube but I was definitely missing BM's colors and codec in post.

JonPais

PostMon Jan 04, 2021 2:23 am

pnguyen720 wrote:Coming from a Pocket 4K and 6K user...

Did a week shoot with the A7S III and was really impressed with it. Usability wise, it's terrific.

The codec, DR and color are definitely good enough for YouTube but I was definitely missing BM's colors and codec in post.

Re: ‘good enough for YouTube’. I’d challenge anyone sitting at a normal viewing distance from a 55” or 65” OLED to tell the difference between my original project and the YT upload I shared. The differences are negligible.

javier forza

WahWay

PostWed Jan 27, 2021 3:10 am

javier forza wrote:https://www.cined.com/sony-alpha-1-full-frame-camera-announced-up-to-8k30-and-s-cinetone/

https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=132761

JonPais

PostMon May 03, 2021 12:22 am

JonPais

PostTue May 18, 2021 8:05 pm

While there are exceptionally few examples of actual living, breathing human beings in HDR YouTube videos, of the negligible number that do exist, too many suffer from one or more of the following: bizarre colors, excessive noise, outrageously intense specular highlights in teeth, eyes or jewelry and an obnoxious lack of tonality, hues, texture and detail that make them painful to watch.

marteloudini

PostWed Jul 21, 2021 6:50 am

And now Sony FX3 nice but the insane price.

JonPais

PostSat Jul 24, 2021 3:09 am

marteloudini wrote:And now Sony FX3 nice but the insane price.
Along with the a7s III, it's a best seller at North America's largest independent electronics retailer, so apparently it's reasonably priced for those who need a reliable camera in a small form factor that delivers a great cinematic image. It's also ideal for placing on drones and rigs, used for action shots and in inhospitable environments, airborne or underwater...

In situations where you require full frame, outstanding low light performance and dynamic range, IBIS, fast, accurate autofocus with eye-detection even at 4K 120 frames per second, coupled with a versatile lens mount, a fully articulating screen, full XLR inputs, extraordinary battery life and dual card slots, the FX3 checks all those boxes. It's also a no-brainer if you need a B cam to an FX6 or FX9.

And of course, if you're already invested in the Sony system, it's much less expensive than purchasing a different brand along with a whole new set of lenses and accessories.

Uli Plank

PostSun Jul 25, 2021 4:42 pm

After having some hands-on with a Sony A7S III, I can only say: if you need a compact camera with very good AF that works out of the box without any accessories have a long, hard look at it. OK, use separate sound or the XLR adapter if needed.

Admitted, the skintones are not quite as great as those from BM's cameras (or Arri's, of course).

Plus, I wouldn't recommend shooting in S-log. Neither S-log2 nor 3 is using the full range of values even with a very contrasty scene. That counteracts the advantage of 10 bit codecs quite a bit. But the S-Cinetone profile or one of the Cine profiles can look pretty nice with some individual adjustments. First of all, turning detail enhancement all the way down. And then find a nice scene-specific look and only do minor tweaks in post and you can get really good results.

If you are deep into color grading in post, any camera by BM is the better option. They call them "Cinema" for a reason. But for run and gun, the A7S III can be the perfect solution.
Maybe AI can help you. Or make you obsolete.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

JonPais

PostSat Jul 31, 2021 1:15 am

I hadn't seen this before, but Brandon Li pretty much echoes everything I've said I like about the a7s III in his comment over at a video comparison by Spencer Sakurai (shot in 10-bit):

"Great comparison! Image quality-wise, Blackmagic wins for sure. I use Sony for the other features: compact form factor, battery life, weather sealing, IBIS, gyro stabilization, AF, touchscreen, Imaging Edge app with touch-focus, lens mount compatibility. Plus I already own a truckload of E-mount lenses. If I was shooting Blackmagic, I would need more rig and crew to execute the kinds of moving shots I like to do".

JonPais

PostFri Oct 22, 2021 1:01 am

Download a7s III ProRes RAW HQ 4.2K 23.976 HDR to see how it grades for you. Link below video.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/nsmxjpx5 ... 7.mov/file

And here's another download, link beneath video:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/gw4so9fc ... e.mov/file
Last edited by JonPais on Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Uli Plank

PostFri Oct 22, 2021 8:07 am

After having had the chance to test the Sony a7S III and the Canon R6, I'd take the Canon any day over the Sony – if it would not overheat.
The noise filter for high ISO is adjustable, the AF is great, the IBIS is close to a gimbal with the right lens, and IMHO, the skin colors are nicer out of the box. I can still see that greenish-yellow tint on the mans cheeks in that last example.

Oh, did I mention the R6 is far cheaper?

JonPais

PostFri Oct 22, 2021 8:20 am

Uli Plank wrote:After having had the chance to test the Sony a7S III and the Canon R6, I'd take the Canon any day over the Sony – if it would not overheat.
The noise filter for high ISO is adjustable, the AF is great, the IBIS is close to a gimbal with the right lens, and IMHO, the skin colors are nicer out of the box. Oh, did I mention it's far cheaper?
The Canon's got horrific rolling shutter (30.6ms, the second highest ever measured in CineD's labs), nonsensical white balance procedure, lens selection is weak compared to E-mount, it's got some of the poorest dynamic range of any mirrorless camera (10.5 stops, the worst ever measured by CineD, making it a no-go for HDR video), no internal ALL-I codec.

If you'd like to start a new thread about your favorite camera, please go ahead and do so.

This thread is about the Sony a7s III.

Uli Plank

PostFri Oct 22, 2021 8:22 am

Shoot it in 50 or 60 p and the RS is half of that. The rest we can discuss elsewhere.

Oh, and my favourite cameras are made by BM. I only resort to any hybrid photographic device for run-n-gun.

JonPais

PostFri Oct 22, 2021 8:52 am

Uli Plank wrote:Shoot it in 50 or 60 p and the RS is half of that. The rest we can discuss elsewhere.

Oh, and my favourite cameras are made by BM. I only resort to any hybrid photographic device for run-n-gun.
Even at 50p, it's nearly double the rolling shutter of the a7s III at 24p. I'd never even consider a BMD if only because I find the community toxic.

Uli Plank

PostFri Oct 22, 2021 9:17 am

A toxic community? Why are you here then?

Ellory Yu

PostFri Oct 22, 2021 1:58 pm

joe12south wrote:12K isn't going to get me to buy a new camera, because it won't help me make a better movie. But knowing that I can confidently hit focus by tapping what I want to focus on just might.

I agree. Don't forget to include IBIS too.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

JonPais

PostThu Oct 28, 2021 11:57 pm

The a7s III uses a 48 megapixel quad bayer sensor.

https://landingfield.wordpress.com/2021 ... si-sensor/
Previous

Return to Off-Topic