Blackmagic Download/Support Website Improvements

Got something to discuss that's not about Blackmagic products? Then check out the Off-Topic forum!
  • Author

totalvamp

Blackmagic Download/Support Website Improvements

PostTue Aug 11, 2020 12:25 am

This is a bit of a rant/list of improvements that have to be made to the website.
Currently it's really hard to find anything in the weird UI on the support website, making it difficult for example the find the braw player, certain versions of resolve etc.

I really think that there should be a decent designed download page that is not just a tiny list on the left. Why is there not just a few categories with:

Davinci Resolve
Video Assist
Camera Assist
RAW Support
ATEM
FUSION
etc

Which, when clicked, show a list of all the versions.

I struggle every time I try to download something from the website.

Something like this:

bm-layout.PNG
bm-layout.PNG (274.7 KiB) Viewed 1693 times
System:
AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
64GB Trident Z 2933Mhz
RTX 3090

Jim Simon

Re: Blackmagic Download/Support Website Improvements

PostSat Aug 15, 2020 4:43 pm

Nice design.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

randyd

PostTue Aug 18, 2020 3:22 am

Just got a BMD PCC6K. Tried searching for the manual, couldn't find it easily. I had to pull out the welcome pamphlet and scan the QR code to find it easily. I still need to install all of the software.

Then I can Start on the ATEM mini.

totalvamp

PostTue Aug 18, 2020 10:04 pm

randyd wrote:Just got a BMD PCC6K. Tried searching for the manual, couldn't find it easily. I had to pull out the welcome pamphlet and scan the QR code to find it easily. I still need to install all of the software.

Then I can Start on the ATEM mini.

it can be quite cumbersome yes, more often than not you end up scrolling through a massive list trying to find a specific version
System:
AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
64GB Trident Z 2933Mhz
RTX 3090

Jan Valk

PostSat Aug 22, 2020 11:50 am

After purchasing and recieiving my Atem Mini Pro the documentation told me to download the stratup and control software from the website. There was no direct link to the software so the search began. The software needed is not named properly so I had no clue what to download. In addition almost all recent downloads were called "updates" on the website. For me an update is something you download after installing the software. Now I found out at Black Magic it means you'll get a complete installer of everyting. Again very unclear.
I first bought the Atem Mini Pro. Later the Extreme Iso. I record theater plays usually with 1 manned + 5 unmanned camera's. I try to create a live mix as much as possible so I only have to correct mistakes in post.

Return to Off-Topic