Editor vs Director

Got something to discuss that's not about Blackmagic products? Then check out the Off-Topic forum!
  • Author

GalinMcMahon

Editor vs Director

PostTue Sep 29, 2020 6:04 pm

Looking for some general editing advice. This pertains to unpaid editing gigs, not to a professional situation.

I've done a couple projects recently as an editor where I asked the director from the get-go what he is looking for in terms of pacing, look, etc. Both times I've gotten "Just go with what you think." So no creative input. Fine. I'll do what I think looks good. Keep in mind that these are both really green directors and the footage is just okay at best. I've had to be super creative just to get it to look somewhat passable, never mind doing what I think should be done.

Both times the directors have come back, after the edit, and made the requests that I asked for on day 1. "I would like it to present more like a play" or "Why not use this shot (which I didn't use because it was junk" or "I want to go for a Parks and Rec look." Again, AFTER the edit.

I don't want to get a rep as a difficult editor but I also don't want to waste time with these novice shoots re-doing all of my work. What is a safe middle ground? Should I stand my ground as an unpaid editor and say that this is my product? Should I bend over and put my name on an inferior product to appease lower level filmmakers in the hopes that they will get better and bring me on board a better project? What do I dooooo????
Water cooled Windows 11 laptop
i9 12th gen - 64GB RAM - 16GB 3080ti
2TB 4th gen nvme main - 4TB 4th gen nvme scratch
Micro panel (thank you BM :) ) - Stream Deck
Resolve Studio 18.5
BenQ ultrawide - DeckLink 4k mini via Sonnet - 48” LG C2 OLED

Marc Wielage

Re: Editor vs Director

PostSun Oct 04, 2020 10:57 pm

GalinMcMahon wrote:I don't want to get a rep as a difficult editor but I also don't want to waste time with these novice shoots re-doing all of my work. What is a safe middle ground? Should I stand my ground as an unpaid editor and say that this is my product? Should I bend over and put my name on an inferior product to appease lower level filmmakers in the hopes that they will get better and bring me on board a better project? What do I dooooo????

Do 1 minute or 1 scene as a "sample," and ask for specifics. Is the pacing right? Are the angles the right choices? Did I choose the right takes? Do you need to emphasize one thing over the other? Is the tone of the piece correct? That way, it's just 1 minute (or one scene) and it would suck your time away.

If the scene works, you can use it in the final. If it doesn't, then it's only one day's work and you can make a decision whether to move on or to stay and adjust. Sadly, it's true that there are directors who "don't know what they like until they see it."
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

GalinMcMahon

PostThu Oct 29, 2020 6:06 pm

Good idea! Thanks for the advice.
Water cooled Windows 11 laptop
i9 12th gen - 64GB RAM - 16GB 3080ti
2TB 4th gen nvme main - 4TB 4th gen nvme scratch
Micro panel (thank you BM :) ) - Stream Deck
Resolve Studio 18.5
BenQ ultrawide - DeckLink 4k mini via Sonnet - 48” LG C2 OLED

Misha Aranyshev

PostSun Nov 01, 2020 11:19 am

Unpaid gig never leads to a paid gig so stop as soon as you are not enjoying cutting the show anymore. If it is paid on the other hand, everyone: director, producers, their hairdressers and their dogs know better than you so you just do whatever they say no matter how crappy is the result. If you want some degree of creative control bargain for the producer credit. It might work.

Return to Off-Topic