Resolve course sellers who don't know the basics

Got something to discuss that's not about Blackmagic products? Then check out the Off-Topic forum!
  • Author

georgekg

Resolve course sellers who don't know the basics

PostWed Dec 16, 2020 7:29 pm

Recently I found a video from the guys for whom I tought they are serious. But it seems that they are only serious in taking money. Here is the link to this video

Someone from Blackmagic should really react to things like this. Guy is using Resolve "for abot 4 months" as he said and already preparing DaVinci Resolve paid course? I couldn't find anywhere that he is certified Resolve trainer.
It's really nice to see that so many people are using Resolve and so many skilled people sharing their knowledge for free. But people like this one are toxic for all of us - Resolve users and Resolve owners
25 years in editing. On DR since v14

ASRock Steel Legend Z790
i7 13700k
64GB DDR5 5200
NVIDIA RTX 3090 24GB
Work: Firecuda 530 Star Wars Mandalorian 2TB
Cache: Firecuda 530 Star Wars Mandalorian 1TB
Render: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD

atmosfar

Re: Resolve course sellers who don't know the basics

PostWed Dec 16, 2020 7:39 pm

Here's a great Resolve/Fusion teacher who is free!

https://www.youtube.com/user/CaseyFaris777/videos

georgekg

PostWed Dec 16, 2020 7:47 pm

Yes, Casey is a terrific guy! But I'm not looking for a teacher, because I'm using Resolve for about 5 years. I learned Resolve basics long time ago Nevertheless, there is always something to learn and I like it a lot. I just want to piont to the people who are ruin this nice community of (uncertified) people willing to share their knowledge for free. Uncertified trainers who are selling those courses are someone who must be sued and avoided.

ASRock Steel Legend Z790
i7 13700k
64GB DDR5 5200
NVIDIA RTX 3090 24GB

Charles Bennett

PostTue Dec 22, 2020 4:05 pm

Resolve Studio 19.0b1 build 20
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (551.86 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

alb3530

PostFri Jan 01, 2021 2:23 pm

georgekg wrote:Recently I found a video from the guys for whom I tought they are serious. But it seems that they are only serious in taking money. Here is the link to this video

Someone from Blackmagic should really react to things like this. Guy is using Resolve "for abot 4 months" as he said and already preparing DaVinci Resolve paid course? I couldn't find anywhere that he is certified Resolve trainer.
It's really nice to see that so many people are using Resolve and so many skilled people sharing their knowledge for free. But people like this one are toxic for all of us - Resolve users and Resolve owners

Curiously, I had watched this video yesterday.

The comments section has a lot of people disagreeing with some points he made.

I know this isn't the goal of this topic, but this is a very good Color Grading tutorial for beginners:

JonPais

PostFri Jan 01, 2021 2:50 pm

georgekg wrote:Recently I found a video from the guys for whom I tought they are serious. But it seems that they are only serious in taking money. Here is the link to this video

Thanks for sharing! Parker Walbeck is super talented and shares lots of useful information. I guess that's why they've got over 1 million subscribers. These guys shoot video for a living and their editing and grading are just fine. I take it you've paid for the course and can tell us all about it. $129 is far less expensive than many other online Resolve tutorials, that's for sure.
https://daejeonchronicles.com

georgekg

PostFri Jan 01, 2021 10:32 pm

JonPais wrote:Thanks for sharing! Parker Walbeck is super talented and shares lots of useful information. I guess that's why they've got over 1 million subscribers. These guys shoot video for a living and their editing and grading are just fine. I take it you've paid for the course and can tell us all about it. $129 is far less expensive than many other online Resolve tutorials, that's for sure.

No I didn't pay. Nor I would pay anything to the people like this one. If anyone wants to learn, there are so many people who sharing online their knowledge for free. If one want to pay, than it will be better to pay to someone who is certified by Black Magic. This guy is using Resolve for (how he said in this video) about 4 months and he is already an expert who can teach (!!!) you Resolve for money? Then, well done Black Magic! You made a highly professional software which can be learned in less than 4 months to the expert level!
1 mil. subscribers doesn't mean anything. Would you pay 1000$ to someone to build you a house (because it is far less expensive than many other building companies), because "he have a 1 mil. subscribers", he have YT channel about building houses and he recently start to read a book that students of architecture are using? Beside all of that, he is very talented seller who have a company and he sell bricks very well. And all of that qualify him to build you a house on his own?
"Number of subscribers" is something that should be considered as a real value? Kim Kardashian have more than 1 mil. subscribers, companies pay to her to advertise them... the media and a distorted system of values helped her, but she is sitll what she was before - nowadays it is called starlet, but my granny had much different expression for those women... Why am I mentioned her in relation to him? Greed is all around...
Btw. I'm not denying his overall knowledge, his talent (as you say), etc. As a matter of fact, I don't know what he is doing in his life. This video just popped up on my YT, I start to watch and I tought he is a serious, but then... bum! 4 months of experience qualify him to sell a course? Maybe he is experienced in some other software... I don't know. I just want to say that this man isn't someone who can be taken seriously as a teacher when it comes to Resolve. As a matter of fact, he is someone who must be avoided (for next 10 years at least) if one want to pay to him to learn Resolve.

ASRock Steel Legend Z790
i7 13700k
64GB DDR5 5200
NVIDIA RTX 3090 24GB

JonPais

PostSat Jan 02, 2021 3:15 am

georgekg wrote:
JonPais wrote:Thanks for sharing! Parker Walbeck is super talented and shares lots of useful information. I guess that's why they've got over 1 million subscribers. These guys shoot video for a living and their editing and grading are just fine. I take it you've paid for the course and can tell us all about it. $129 is far less expensive than many other online Resolve tutorials, that's for sure.

No I didn't pay. Nor I would pay anything to the people like this one. If anyone wants to learn, there are so many people who sharing online their knowledge for free. If one want to pay, than it will be better to pay to someone who is certified by Black Magic. This guy is using Resolve for (how he said in this video) about 4 months and he is already an expert who can teach (!!!) you Resolve for money? Then, well done Black Magic! You made a highly professional software which can be learned in less than 4 months to the expert level!
1 mil. subscribers doesn't mean anything. Would you pay 1000$ to someone to build you a house (because it is far less expensive than many other building companies), because "he have a 1 mil. subscribers", he have YT channel about building houses and he recently start to read a book that students of architecture are using? Beside all of that, he is very talented seller who have a company and he sell bricks very well. And all of that qualify him to build you a house on his own?
"Number of subscribers" is something that should be considered as a real value? Kim Kardashian have more than 1 mil. subscribers, companies pay to her to advertise them... the media and a distorted system of values helped her, but she is sitll what she was before - nowadays it is called starlet, but my granny had much different expression for those women... Why am I mentioned her in relation to him? Greed is all around...
Btw. I'm not denying his overall knowledge, his talent (as you say), etc. As a matter of fact, I don't know what he is doing in his life. This video just popped up on my YT, I start to watch and I tought he is a serious, but then... bum! 4 months of experience qualify him to sell a course? Maybe he is experienced in some other software... I don't know. I just want to say that this man isn't someone who can be taken seriously as a teacher when it comes to Resolve. As a matter of fact, he is someone who must be avoided (for next 10 years at least) if one want to pay to him to learn Resolve.

TLDR; I see now: you’re looking for a free tutorial and have no idea whether the one being offered by Parker Walbeck is good or bad. ‘nough said! LOL

georgekg

PostSat Jan 02, 2021 9:16 am

My granny was a very wise woman. She often said: if you have nothing wise to said, keep your mouth shut. That way nobody will know that you just flogging a dead horse

ASRock Steel Legend Z790
i7 13700k
64GB DDR5 5200
NVIDIA RTX 3090 24GB

BensTechLab

PostWed Jan 06, 2021 4:11 am

@georgekg you seem to have a very negative attitude when you can just leave this video/course/channel behind and move on.

As someone who recently started a YouTube channel I can say there are lots of people out there who just want to start something on the side. Sure they may be new, with less experience than you. But there is no harm in them trying! You can always ignore their offer...

I am a strong believer in learning by doing. And even more so, that you will learn a lot if you try to teach something. So while this person may mess up in the start... they will learn a lot in the process and perhaps become much better later if they persevere. Many YouTube channels start out "mediocre" and then become great after 2, 3 or 4 years as the creator learns and grows. For example, how long has Casey Faris been producing content? 7+ years!

Focus on the positive. Leave honest, but not unnecessarily negative, critique if you see an issue with their content. But always encourage people to be the best that they can whenever possible! :)

georgekg

PostWed Jan 06, 2021 11:01 pm

I can't see why do you think that I can't leave this behind me? I left this cannel behind me as soon as I saw what this guy is doing. With this post I just wanted to get people's attention to be aware of "teachers" like this one. He causes damage to Blackmagic too. If you are new to Resolve and pay to learn from guys like this one - with "good reputation" (based on number of YT subsribers) and he mislead you because of his lack of knowledge, you'll probably give up Resolve because of teacher's misleading. "In Resolve this is much more complicated than in X software" etc. Numerous comments on this video shows that some information he provided aren't true. In this video he stated several misleading informations in just a few minutes. Then, I can imagine how much wrong informations you can find in his course.
Casey Faris didn't start to sell anything related to Reoslve before he learned this software very, very well. This guy is doing just opposite - start to sell course before he learned the basics.
His bad intention wouldn't be a problem if he is just starting with his YT channel. In that case, nobody will take him seriously and wouldn't give him 129$ for this course. But he is trying to take money from people, based on popularity of his YT channel. People beleive that he is an "expert" because he have 1M subscribers. What they'll buy isn't nearly as good as they think that they'll got for their money. When you try to sell false service or goods based on your reputation, such behaviour is called deception. That is the only problem. I don't have anything personally against this guy.
Sorry, I can't focus on the positive when I see greed...

ASRock Steel Legend Z790
i7 13700k
64GB DDR5 5200
NVIDIA RTX 3090 24GB

JonPais

PostFri Jan 15, 2021 1:41 pm

georgekg wrote:I can't see why do you think that I can't leave this behind me? I left this cannel behind me as soon as I saw what this guy is doing. With this post I just wanted to get people's attention to be aware of "teachers" like this one. He causes damage to Blackmagic too. If you are new to Resolve and pay to learn from guys like this one - with "good reputation" (based on number of YT subsribers) and he mislead you because of his lack of knowledge, you'll probably give up Resolve because of teacher's misleading. "In Resolve this is much more complicated than in X software" etc. Numerous comments on this video shows that some information he provided aren't true. In this video he stated several misleading informations in just a few minutes. Then, I can imagine how much wrong informations you can find in his course.
Casey Faris didn't start to sell anything related to Reoslve before he learned this software very, very well. This guy is doing just opposite - start to sell course before he learned the basics.
His bad intention wouldn't be a problem if he is just starting with his YT channel. In that case, nobody will take him seriously and wouldn't give him 129$ for this course. But he is trying to take money from people, based on popularity of his YT channel. People beleive that he is an "expert" because he have 1M subscribers. What they'll buy isn't nearly as good as they think that they'll got for their money. When you try to sell false service or goods based on your reputation, such behaviour is called deception. That is the only problem. I don't have anything personally against this guy.
Sorry, I can't focus on the positive when I see greed...

You are completely, entirely out of line mister. First, no one is forcing you to take the course! We aren't the internet police: anyone can offer whatever courses they like online. It's entirely possible that someone can teach me an editing program without being certified!

Secondly, you have not even taken the course and are attacking the website, which again is unbelievably arrogant.

And lastly, FullTime Filmmaker offers a FULL REFUND if customers are not satisfied with the tutorial.
From their website:

What if I am unhappy with the course?
We would never want you to be unhappy! If you are unsatisfied with your purchase, contact us in the first 30 days and we will give you a full refund.

I recommend you chill out mister.

Mark Foster

PostFri Jan 15, 2021 3:09 pm

i have watched tons of youtube videos and reviews of hardware
since the pandemic began in march of last year.

and even with people from whom I was initially enthusiastic,
I realized after some time that they have no idea
and only clicks are the most important.
cMP 5.1 2x3,46/96GB/2x2TB SSD/4x4TB/7101A 4x2TB 970evo+/HP1344/BMD4k/RadeonVII
macOS 12.6.3
BMPCC 6k pro (7.9.1)
meike s35 cine 25mm, 35mm, 50mm, 75mm
resolve studio 18.1.4
mini panel
speed editor
desktop video 12.1
intensity pro 4k
atem extreme (8.6.1)

georgekg

PostFri Jan 15, 2021 5:09 pm

JonPais wrote:You are completely, entirely out of line mister. First, no one is forcing you to take the course! We aren't the internet police: anyone can offer whatever courses they like online. It's entirely possible that someone can teach me an editing program without being certified!

Sorry, but you are completely out of the line. Please read before comment. I never tell that anyone force someone to take the course. I'm telling that all people who know anything abot e.g. Resolve should warn those who know nothing - beginners, to be aware of those who are selling the fog. It's obvious that number of subscribers mean nothing when greed comes.

Secondly, you have not even taken the course and are attacking the website, which again is unbelievably arrogant.

Again, read before comment. I said
Numerous comments on this video shows that some information he provided aren't true. In this video he stated several misleading informations in just a few minutes. Then, I can imagine how much wrong informations you can find in his course.
Fortunately I know Resolve good enough (as well as people who denied his statements in the video) to know that he brought up a bunch of nonsense in just a few minutes. But the peole who don't know anything will believe in his words, because (well) he have 1M subscribers, right? Also I can tell that you are arrogant when you are accused me and didn't read all, but something I wrote.

And lastly, FullTime Filmmaker offers a FULL REFUND if customers are not satisfied with the tutorial.
From their website:

We would never want you to be unhappy! If you are unsatisfied with your purchase, contact us in the first 30 days and we will give you a full refund.

"if you are unhappy "??? When you don't know anything about some topic, how can you know are you happy or unhappy with what have you learned? How can you know within 30 days that many things you are learned so far are wrong? Maybe, after 3 or 5 months or 1 year you will realize that your foundation aren't good, because someone was teach you the wrong things, but within 30 days that is absolutely impossible. And they know it. That's why you have "30 days money back guarantee, no question asked"

And finally I'm not an "internet police" nor you, nor anyone. But I think that all people who (more or less) know anything about some topic, have a moral obligation to warn beginners to be aware of scammers and people driven by greed. And this guy is one of them.
Don't worry, I'm chill and calm like snow which is falling right now
But if you want to be someone's advocate, better send them invoice befor you start, 'cause this guys don't give up ther money so easily

ASRock Steel Legend Z790
i7 13700k
64GB DDR5 5200
NVIDIA RTX 3090 24GB

georgekg

PostFri Jan 15, 2021 5:16 pm

Mark Foster wrote:i have watched tons of youtube videos and reviews of hardware
since the pandemic began in march of last year.

and even with people from whom I was initially enthusiastic,
I realized after some time that they have no idea
and only clicks are the most important.
Bravo Mark! Clicks and number of subscribers, 'cause those are the things that can bring you the money.

ASRock Steel Legend Z790
i7 13700k
64GB DDR5 5200
NVIDIA RTX 3090 24GB

JonPais

PostMon Jan 25, 2021 4:48 am

georgekg wrote:
JonPais wrote:You are completely, entirely out of line mister. First, no one is forcing you to take the course! We aren't the internet police: anyone can offer whatever courses they like online. It's entirely possible that someone can teach me an editing program without being certified!

Sorry, but you are completely out of the line. Please read before comment. I never tell that anyone force someone to take the course. I'm telling that all people who know anything abot e.g. Resolve should warn those who know nothing - beginners, to be aware of those who are selling the fog. It's obvious that number of subscribers mean nothing when greed comes.

Again, read before comment. I said
Numerous comments on this video shows that some information he provided aren't true. In this video he stated several misleading informations in just a few minutes. Then, I can imagine how much wrong informations you can find in his course.
Fortunately I know Resolve good enough (as well as people who denied his statements in the video) to know that he brought up a bunch of nonsense in just a few minutes. But the peole who don't know anything will believe in his words, because (well) he have 1M subscribers, right? Also I can tell that you are arrogant when you are accused me and didn't read all, but something I wrote.

From their website:

"if you are unhappy "??? When you don't know anything about some topic, how can you know are you happy or unhappy with what have you learned? How can you know within 30 days that many things you are learned so far are wrong? Maybe, after 3 or 5 months or 1 year you will realize that your foundation aren't good, because someone was teach you the wrong things, but within 30 days that is absolutely impossible. And they know it. That's why you have "30 days money back guarantee, no question asked"

And finally I'm not an "internet police" nor you, nor anyone. But I think that all people who (more or less) know anything about some topic, have a moral obligation to warn beginners to be aware of scammers and people driven by greed. And this guy is one of them.
Don't worry, I'm chill and calm like snow which is falling right now
But if you want to be someone's advocate, better send them invoice befor you start, 'cause this guys don't give up ther money so easily

Only you could twist a 100% money back guarantee into something nefarious. SMH

georgekg

PostMon Jan 25, 2021 7:40 pm

Only you could twist a 100% money back guarantee into something nefarious. SMH

I don't have enogh time to explain to you psychology behind all those marketing tricks like "100% money back guarantee" and many more. It's the same like those sellers who convince you that he/she is so generous and he loves you so much that it will give you something for just a fraction of the real value of that product or service. Is there any seller on Earth who will do the business with loss on his own will? But still there are people who believe them...
Once again - if you don't know anything about some topic, how could you know (within just ONE month) if you are satisfied or not? How can you know within just ONE month did he teach you wrong or right?
But if you think that "100% money back guarantee" means something real, than there is no help for you...

ASRock Steel Legend Z790
i7 13700k
64GB DDR5 5200
NVIDIA RTX 3090 24GB

Return to Off-Topic