Creativity under pressure

Got something to discuss that's not about Blackmagic products? Then check out the Off-Topic forum!
  • Author

smslavin

Creativity under pressure

PostFri Jan 08, 2021 9:55 pm

Just general philosophy type stuff...

How do you stay creative under pressure?

That pressure can be anything. Time. Client watching over your shoulder. Your own head space.

I shot an interview on Monday. Part of series I'm doing for a client on their music teachers. There was a last minute location change to less than ideal setting but I had plenty of time to setup and adjust. Interviewee was a few minutes late. Client then tells me I have 25 min to shoot the interview and pack everything up as there was a hard stop since there was class using the space. The hard stop was an unknown variable but I made it work.

I'm now editing the footage and wish I had more. There isn't enough spunk to it. It needs more... punch. I am super happy with the audio of the drum kit though. First time miking something like that and it was a definite win.

So, again I ask, what do you do to stay creative under pressure when all your plans go sideways on a shoot?

Appreciate any and all input.
Flight case of BM gear
BMMSC | BMPCC 4K & 6K
Deity Mics | MixPre 6 II & 10 II
MacPro flashed to 5,1 and hot rodded as much as possible

Leon Benzakein

PostSat Jan 09, 2021 9:56 pm

:oops:
Last edited by Leon Benzakein on Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Television: Lighting/Cameraman, O.B. Camera Operator, Experience in EFP, EPG and ENG , Grip, Lamp Operator
Film: Grip, Lamp Operator
Theater: Lighting Designer, Light board Operator, Stage Electrician, Stage Management

smslavin

Re: Creativity under pressure

PostTue Jan 12, 2021 12:06 am

Leon Benzakein wrote:It is known in the industry as "hurry up and wait".
That is the way it is.
It is unfortunate because it takes the pleasure out of the job.
What really is frustrating is that producers tend to be more prepared to spend money in post than on the actual time of the shoot.
It is something that you have to accept and learn to live with.
Producers will put the blame on you when things do not work out but know at least that this is nothing new.
The skill is to find people that you are prepared to go into the trenches with.
Definitely learn to count to 10 and also how to breathe.

Another solution is to have a dummy at home that you can beat with a baseball bat.

Enjoy the journey, the destination is not always that wonderful.

Totally get all of that. While video is still new, I've been dealing with clients at this level on the photography side for a long time. It's mostly the same.

I guess what I'm asking is when your 60 min goes to 30 then to 20 then to 5 to clear out a room full of gear, where do you go to get/stay inspired? How do still get what you need? It's not like I can just rapid fire another two dozen frames as if I were shooting stills...
Flight case of BM gear
BMMSC | BMPCC 4K & 6K

Leon Benzakein

PostTue Jan 12, 2021 3:14 pm

:oops:
Last edited by Leon Benzakein on Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Television: Lighting/Cameraman, O.B. Camera Operator, Experience in EFP, EPG and ENG , Grip, Lamp Operator
Film: Grip, Lamp Operator
Theater: Lighting Designer, Light board Operator, Stage Electrician, Stage Management

Jack Fairley

PostWed Jan 13, 2021 6:37 pm

If a client ruins their own project, they ruin their own project. Be up front about the fact that it's not enough time to deliver a good result, and if they can't deal with that, fire the client.
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

smslavin

PostWed Jan 13, 2021 11:24 pm

This isn't the direction I thought this would go. I have no issues with the job or my clients. I've been doing this work long enough to be able to say no. But, that isn't where I was going with this.

I'm honestly curious how folks maintain their creativity under pressure. To me, that really has nothing to do with your working relationship with a client or anyone else.
Flight case of BM gear
BMMSC | BMPCC 4K & 6K

Return to Off-Topic