Windows doesn't boot after video data SATA HDs swapped

Got something to discuss that's not about Blackmagic products? Then check out the Off-Topic forum!
  • Author

Cookiejar

Windows doesn't boot after video data SATA HDs swapped

PostThu Jan 14, 2021 7:01 pm

I have a brand new AMD 16 core CPU with a Radeoan VII GPU and a fresh and updated Windows 10 pro installed. The PC has Windows installed on a Samsung 970 M.2 SSD. It has 4 Hot Swap drawers for 3.5" SATA drives intended for my video files. After changing these plug-in SATA drives a couple of times (with the power off), Windows refuses to boot on power up. The screen is black even after 15 minutes. I turn the power off after a few minutes and then try again turning the power on. Repeating this, eventually I get a message saying there's a major disk fault that cannot be repaired. I keep trying and then get a message saying I have a disk fault and disk check must be run. Disk check returns no faults and Windows boots.
It seems that Windows cannot tolerate one changing SATA drives used for data. Windows doesn't seem to mind one changing USB drives. Is there a setting in Windows that will allow me to change SATA drives without putting me through the stressful failed boot drama?
I'd like to get this issue solved before I install Resolve and get playing with my new BMPCC 4K.

robert Hart

Re: Windows doesn't boot after video data SATA HDs swapped

PostThu Feb 25, 2021 7:54 pm

If your docks are connected via SATA, to make this problem go away, when copying footage off a camera drive, you may find that you have to first shut down the computer, restart with no drive in the dock, open explorer, search for any drive in the docks even if there are none, close out of explorer, shut down. Then insert your camera drive, restart the computer, search for your drive and copy from it. Shut down before removing the SSD after copying from it. Before inserting the same drive containing new vision, or another camera drive for copying, again shut down, then restart the computer with no drive in the dock and repeat the explorer search then shut the computer down and then insert your next drive.

There is no logic to this, just a happens chance solution that I discovered which may not be relevant to your system.

There seems to be something weirding out around the naming of the drive by the camera when it is formatted. Unless the computer is forced to search empty drive docks and find nothing and then be shut down and restarted it seems that Windows forms a false belief that the drive is the same drive it saw previously but has become corrupted. Windows will kindly attempt to correct it for you and stuff it up so entirely that the camera itself can no longer find the clips if you return the drive to the camera. The camera will however successfully reformat the drive for future use.

Return to Off-Topic