HDR playback flat?

Got something to discuss that's not about Blackmagic products? Then check out the Off-Topic forum!
  • Author

shahriyarali

HDR playback flat?

PostFri Mar 05, 2021 6:37 pm

Hey! This may sound very technical to many but since it's a Blackmagic forum i'm hoping to get my answers.. I need to understand how HDR on screens function. All you HDR enabled phone owners might see color shift on HDR videos when tilting phones from landscape to portrait. How/Why does that happen?

I recently downloaded an HDR video which doesn't applies color to the video (rather be flat like raw) until I expand it to full screen on VLC. Today i downloaded another HDR video and VLC also failed to output real video colors. It has something to do with HDR compression/codec i dont know. BUT it does apply for a factor of a second when i orient the phone. Any screen expert here who can explain all this mess going on?

I initially thought the OS won't enable HDR unless the video is played full screen but i was wrong. Anyone else creeping out with this?

Here is a PC screenshot to make you guys understand better. Color output is normal on VLC but flushed on other players.
Attachments
2.jpg
correct colors
2.jpg (270.46 KiB) Viewed 533 times
1.jpg
not correct/ flat
1.jpg (265.64 KiB) Viewed 533 times

Return to Off-Topic