Cleaning your equipment after shooting

Got something to discuss that's not about Blackmagic products? Then check out the Off-Topic forum!
  • Author

Ellory Yu

Cleaning your equipment after shooting

PostMon Mar 22, 2021 4:55 am

In this pandemic, after a shoot, what do you use to safely clean and sanitized your, particularly, BM cameras and lenses?
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Ellory Yu

Re: Cleaning your equipment after shooting

PostTue Mar 23, 2021 2:03 am

So no one is cleaning their cams? :roll:
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

smfichera

PostTue Mar 23, 2021 3:37 pm

Gear isn't being cleaned or they don't want to touch the question due to liability. Depending on the chemicals you can damage your equipment. Do you normally clean your gear? Even with no pandemic? DON'T TOUCH YOUR FACE! WASH YOUR HANDS!

Take this advice at your own risk. I'm not responsible if anyone destroys gear.

CDC recommendation for Electronics:

For electronics such as cell phones, tablets, touch screens, remote controls, and keyboards, remove visible contamination if present.

Follow the manufacturer’s instructions for all cleaning and disinfection products.
Consider use of wipeable covers for electronics.

If no manufacturer guidance is available, consider the use of alcohol-based wipes or sprays containing at least 70% alcohol to disinfect touch screens. Dry surfaces thoroughly to avoid pooling of liquids.

WHAT TO AVOID
Anything that contains:
Bleach
Ammonia
Other harsh cleaning solvents

These products may cause screens to become clouded, requiring replacement.

WHAT CAN BE USED
Lightly moisten a cloth and gently wipe down screens with a lint-free microfiber cloth. Avoid paper towels, as they may scratch.

Using a spray bottle? DO NOT spray directly on the device's surface or components. Getting liquid inside the device could damage internal components.

Using aerosol? Move away from the device and only spray on a lint-free microfiber cloth. Aerosol cans dispense liquid that could get inside a device and damage internal components.
Sean
YouTube: youtube.com/user/smfmediadesign
Instagram: @smfichera
Twitter: @smfmedia

OlliVan

PostWed Mar 31, 2021 11:37 am

I have seen some people now using disposable covers on mics, which is clever because you can't really clean a mic properly. It's not a new product category but it just wasn't popular before.

Ragnorrk

PostFri Apr 02, 2021 5:20 am

Since I'm a klutz, I've only had to clean sand off my camera once: after nudging my old EOS 400D down from a beach chair into wet sand. So don't mistake me for an expert when it comes to cleaning desert sandstorms out of an SLR after a day of action...

However, in my case, getting rid of the sand was surprisingly easy. While on the beach, I blew off as much sand as I could with my hands, then drove back to the hotel to let the rest dry. I used a hair dryer to gently blow away the majority of the sand and read reviews at printerhow.com. The rest that was trapped in nooks and crannies was removed with a soft, dry toothbrush (brushing while at the same time blowing with the hair dryer did the trick).
Last edited by Ragnorrk on Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jim Simon

PostFri Apr 02, 2021 3:59 pm

Ellory Yu wrote:what do you use to safely clean and sanitized your cameras and lenses?
As I haven't succumbed to abject fear that governments are working very hard to create on this subject, nothing.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Denny Smith

PostWed Jun 02, 2021 6:41 pm

Regular ole alcohol wipes work great, I have sued these with cameras for 30 years. Also a soft microfiber c,oath is a good wipe down cloth after using the wipes.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Return to Off-Topic