SSD MPN Discrepancy

Got something to discuss that's not about Blackmagic products? Then check out the Off-Topic forum!
  • Author

MW_Black

SSD MPN Discrepancy

PostFri Apr 23, 2021 6:53 pm

Hi everyone,

I was shopping around for an SSD for the BMCC 2.5k. Going through the list of approved media, I was able to find at least a few options still in stock in various places. But I found a crazy-good deal on an OWC 480GB Mercury Extreme Pro 6G that appears to be going for around half the price of the Sandisk, Samsung, and Kingston options of similar capacity. It's the exact same product name as the one recommended by Blackmagic, but I noticed the MPN is ever-so-slightly different than the one in parentheses on the approved SSD list.

The website selling it says the MPN is different because of slight variations in the product, but that also the product is identical... Hm...

Can anyone tell me if they are the same drive as far as reliability with 2.5K RAW on the BMCC?

Recommended by Blackmagic: OWC 480GB Mercury Extreme Pro 6G (OWCSSD7P6G480)

Listed as for sale on the website I found: OWC 480GB Mercury Extreme Pro 6 (OWCS3D7P6G480)

The seller has a 3rd option which it seems to think is the same, too: OWCSSDMX6G480.

Any help would be appreciated, because to me, the $100 difference means a lot.

Thanks!

Jim Simon

Re: SSD MPN Discrepancy

PostSat Apr 24, 2021 7:01 pm

This might be better asked in the Cinematography forum, where the camera pros hang out.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Return to Off-Topic