Help! Cine lens is broken (Video attached)

Got something to discuss that's not about Blackmagic products? Then check out the Off-Topic forum!
  • Author

Matt Filburn

Help! Cine lens is broken (Video attached)

PostSun Jun 13, 2021 4:22 pm

My Xeen lens won't focus, it feels like the ring isn't connected to something inside. When I flip the lens over, as you can see in the video, the rear element is sliding around. What do you think is wrong with it? What would it cost to fix? Where would I take it to have it fixed? (I'm in NYC). Is it possible I could fix it myself?

Edit: the video won't attach, but here it is: https://www.reddit.com/r/CameraLenses/c ... _included/

Denny Smith

Re: Help! Cine lens is broken (Video attached)

PostMon Jun 14, 2021 12:07 am

The focus helical is broken, repairs for this are expensive, and would probably exceed cost of a new lens.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Matt Filburn

PostMon Jun 14, 2021 2:14 pm

Wow! I really don't want that to be the case. What's the best way to learn to repair it? Are there any good guides to these kinds of repairs online?

Howard Roll

PostMon Jun 14, 2021 4:31 pm

In NYC you probably have your pick without having to ship the lens which is great.

In fact Xeen's US HQ is in NYC, I'd start there. Most cine lens services are going to start at about $140/hr.

Here's a link to an 85mm teardown if you're feeling bold.

https://wordpress.lensrentals.com/blog/ ... 85mm-t1-5/

Good Luck

Matt Filburn

PostTue Jun 15, 2021 3:46 pm

Thank you so much! This makes me a lot more optimistic.

vbutinar

PostMon Jun 21, 2021 10:45 am

I had a similar problem on a Rokinon 35mm T1.5 cine lens.
It wouldn't focus and something inside would slide back and forth if you turned the lens up or down.

So I took it aparat and found that two screws with nylon bushings broke out of their guides.
The first time I was able to fix it and use epoxy to hold a part one part of the lens together and somehow put the two screws a half a thread into the holes.

The problem is that I think that anything that holds on on one or even half a thread will fail eventually and obviously it did a year later and this time I was not able to fix it anymore.

I got another one but this time new and not used, so I'm hoping it will last a couple of years longer.

Matt Filburn

PostWed Aug 04, 2021 7:34 pm

vbutinar wrote:I had a similar problem on a Rokinon 35mm T1.5 cine lens.
It wouldn't focus and something inside would slide back and forth if you turned the lens up or down.

So I took it aparat and found that two screws with nylon bushings broke out of their guides.
The first time I was able to fix it and use epoxy to hold a part one part of the lens together and somehow put the two screws a half a thread into the holes.

The problem is that I think that anything that holds on on one or even half a thread will fail eventually and obviously it did a year later and this time I was not able to fix it anymore.

I got another one but this time new and not used, so I'm hoping it will last a couple of years longer.

Oh my god, it's my 35mm as well! You don't happen to have any pictures, do you? I bet it's the exact same problem.

How many layers deep into this guide would you say you got? https://wordpress.lensrentals.com/blog/ ... 85mm-t1-5/ (The second lens they show is probably an easier point of comparison)

I just want to know how messy this would be to do myself.

Return to Off-Topic