Global Shutter vs Rolling Shutter

Got something to discuss that's not about Blackmagic products? Then check out the Off-Topic forum!
  • Author

Charles Bennett

Re: Global Shutter vs Rolling Shutter

PostTue Jun 15, 2021 12:02 am

With a Global Shutter. the image sensor outputs each frame as a complete image in one go. With a Rolling Shutter the image sensor outputs the image line by line. This is why fast moving vertical items moving past a camera with a Rolling Shutter appear to be slanted because of the time delay reading the image sensor from top to bottom.
Resolve Studio 18.6.5 build 7
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (546.01 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

Jim Simon

PostWed Jun 16, 2021 4:08 pm

Simply put:

Global=Good
Rolling=Bad
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

dondidnod

PostThu Jun 17, 2021 2:53 am

High dynamic range & low noise = Good
Dramatically higher camera price = Bad

Even though it uses rolling shutter, the BMPCC 4K readout speed is at only 7.8ms - 16.2ms, thanks to it's fast M43 sensor, which does not create a problem for fast motion. I don't usually shoot kids on skateboards so I don't see it. They'd probably think it was cool and say, Ooh, wicked! if it did it anyway.

"cameras with faster rolling shutters have a more filmic aesthetic than cameras that employ global shutters.
...if you were to compare two equivalent sensors strictly on performance, one with a global shutter and the other with a rolling shutter, you will likely see that the rolling-shutter sensor will have less noise and a wider dynamic range while generating less heat. Now, a global-shutter sensor can be developed to compensate for those aspects, but the costs of developing and manufacturing a sensor with those capabilities will be dramatically higher. In essence, rolling shutter sensors provide good performance metrics while keeping costs down."

Rolling Shutter versus Global Shutter

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/am ... al-shutter

Jim Simon

PostFri Jun 18, 2021 3:30 pm

dondidnod wrote:High dynamic range & low noise = Good
When achieved with a Global Shutter, agreed. :)
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Return to Off-Topic