Phase out fractional frame rates!

Got something to discuss that's not about Blackmagic products? Then check out the Off-Topic forum!
  • Author

JonPais

Phase out fractional frame rates!

PostTue Aug 31, 2021 3:37 am

A group of industry professionals led by JayDee Vandenberg, Director of Post Production at Walt Disney Animation Studios, is calling for the electronic display industry to begin to phase out support for fractional frame rates over time so that content can be displayed at its intended frame rate. According to the people behind the request, “this should include displays, recorders, play back devices, and cameras among others.”

https://nomore2398.com
https://daejeonchronicles.com

rNeil H

Re: Phase out fractional frame rates!

PostTue Aug 31, 2021 4:11 am

Long overdue.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Jim Simon

PostWed Sep 01, 2021 11:20 pm

Oh, I hope this succeeds. Should have been done with the transition to HD.

Though, displays will still need them...probably forever, given the back catalog.

But the day that all cameras offer 24 fps exact (without 23.976 or 23.98 as even an option) are loooooooong overdue.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Dan Shay

PostThu Sep 02, 2021 12:07 am

How about moving up to a higher standard frame-rate for Cinema(24 fps to 30fps) so we don't have so much judder on displays? I can understand why they kept the frame rate so low in the film days - extra cost and slow stocks - but that isn't a problem today.

JonPais

PostThu Sep 02, 2021 1:12 am

Dan Shay wrote:How about moving up to a higher standard frame-rate for Cinema(24 fps to 30fps) so we don't have so much judder on displays? I can understand why they kept the frame rate so low in the film days - extra cost and slow stocks - but that isn't a problem today.
Judder and motion blur artifacts are more noticeable on high contrast, wider gamut displays, regardless of screen size. In order to maintain the judder 'level' of a traditional 100-nit SDR display on a 1,000-nit HDR display, a 7 second pan must be slowed down to somewhere in the neighborhood of 20 seconds. Synthetic shutter and motion grading should already be the norm for HDR movies, where images are captured at high frame rates and dropped down to a lower frame rate in post - under the supervision of the director, of course. Pixelworks is probably the one company that stands the greatest chance of striking a deal with streamers like Netflix. Here's a terrific video by RealD TrueMotion showing how synthetic shutter can be used creatively.

https://daejeonchronicles.com

Jim Simon

PostThu Sep 02, 2021 4:43 pm

Dan Shay wrote:How about moving up to a higher standard frame-rate for Cinema(24 fps to 30fps)
No thank you.

Better to move all TV to 24 fps. (Or 48 for sports).

Globally. (Sorry PAL, you guys went down the wrong path with 25/50 and it's time for that to end also.)
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Mark Foster

PostThu Sep 02, 2021 7:46 pm

Jim Simon wrote:
Dan Shay wrote:How about moving up to a higher standard frame-rate for Cinema(24 fps to 30fps)
No thank you.

Better to move all TV to 24 fps. (Or 48 for sports).

Globally. (Sorry PAL, you guys went down the wrong path with 25/50 and it's time for that to end also.)

but you do realize that 25/50 is the majority worldwide ; -)
cMP 5.1 2x3,46/96GB/2x2TB SSD/4x4TB/7101A 4x2TB 970evo+/HP1344/BMD4k/RadeonVII
macOS 12.6.3
BMPCC 6k pro (7.9.1)
meike s35 cine 25mm, 35mm, 50mm, 75mm
resolve studio 18.1.4
mini panel
speed editor
desktop video 12.1
intensity pro 4k
atem extreme (8.6.1)

Jim Simon

PostFri Sep 03, 2021 2:55 pm

Popularity and Quality have never been roommates. ;)

24 was chosen because it's evenly divisible by 2, 3, 4 and 6. It's a good choice, and should be THE choice worldwide. (Very possible in the digital era, where frame rates are no longer tied to power cycle.)
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Andy Coulthurst

PostFri Sep 03, 2021 7:58 pm

Jim Simon wrote:Popularity and Quality have never been roommates. ;)

24 was chosen because it's evenly divisible by 2, 3, 4 and 6. It's a good choice, and should be THE choice worldwide. (Very possible in the digital era, where frame rates are no longer tied to power cycle.)

Wikipedia disagrees with that assumption about the origins of 24 fps, and so do I :D

Jim Simon

PostSat Sep 04, 2021 4:14 pm

There's a reason Wiki frequently isn't allowed as citations.

But...why 24 was chosen is incidental to my point.

It is evenly divisible by 2, 3, 4 and 6. That makes it a better choice than 25 for a worldwide standard.

And I do think a single worldwide standard has value, and should be pursued. Power frequency is no longer the impediment is used to be.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Howard Roll

PostSun Sep 05, 2021 1:50 am

They can bundle non-integer frame rates with interlaced and give them both a viking funeral.

Good Luck

Andy Coulthurst

PostSun Sep 05, 2021 2:03 pm

Howard Roll wrote:They can bundle non-integer frame rates with interlaced and give them both a viking funeral.

Good Luck

Can certainly agree with that!

Andy Coulthurst

PostSun Sep 05, 2021 2:09 pm

Jim Simon wrote:There's a reason Wiki frequently isn't allowed as citations.

But...why 24 was chosen is incidental to my point.

It is evenly divisible by 2, 3, 4 and 6. That makes it a better choice than 25 for a worldwide standard.

And I do think a single worldwide standard has value, and should be pursued. Power frequency is no longer the impediment is used to be.

Okay - then whilst we're doing this - I'd like to eliminate all processing engines in TV's and also redesign all display panels to have variable frame rate. I'd like to have fixed and accurate colour controls as well :-).

Return to Off-Topic