Where is my hardware bottleneck?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

TheCameraGuy

Where is my hardware bottleneck?

PostWed Nov 17, 2021 4:16 pm

Hi there,
my PC is struggling with 4k and sometimes even HD footage, despite the fact I’m using proxies. Sometimes it stutters without any color grading and a completely blue render cache bar. Even my 2017 macbook seems to have a better playback than my PC. Editing fusion clips is the worst.
I’m not really familiar with the hardware stuff, so it would be awesome if one of you pros could take a second to look on my specs and could tell me where the bottleneck is. Or if the entire PC is a bottleneck.

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700, 3,4GHz (4 cores, 8 virtual cores)
GPU: GTX 1070 Strix OC
Mainboard: Medion H110H4-CM2 (I guess that is one of the problems)
RAM: 2x 8GB DDR3
Harddrive: 250 GB SSD + 2TB HDD
Davinci Resolve and the footage (or at least the proxies) as well as Windows lie on the SSD.

Running on Windows 10.

I really don't need the footage to run completely fluent but sometimes it is nearly impossible to edit videos as much as it stutters.

Would be really great if someone could give me a hint what would be the easiest way to increase performance :)

mark.sze

Re: Where is my hardware bottleneck?

PostSat Nov 20, 2021 7:28 am

Can you provide a bit more detail on:
- the footage (codec, fps, etc)
- the model of SSD
- where the proxy files are stored (HDD or SSD)

Graphics card - are you using the NVIDIA Studio drivers?

Have you monitored Task Manager to see if memory is running low? Fusion on 16GB would be difficult, I had to have 32GB on Windows.

Ryan Earl

PostWed Nov 24, 2021 12:18 pm

TheCameraGuy wrote:Or if the entire PC is a bottleneck.

I was in the same position, but didn't want to 'upgrade' necessarily but had to take my old setup to a new PC to run Windows 7 and an 1990s drum scanner.

I had a 6850K, Asus X99 Deluxe II & GTX 1080 with a Samsung 970 Pro 512GB for the OS. I switched to a Ryzen 5700G, ASUS TUF GAMING X570-PLUS WIFI and a GIGABYTE AMD Radeon RX Vega 56 Gaming OC 8G (which I just had and was gaming with).

With the Samsung 970 Pro and only 16GB of DDR 4 I am now able to smoothly playback Komodo 6K where I wasn't able to do that before. Then I edit off of a 2x Raid 1 SSD 2.5" setup. Only about $1,000 worth of parts, so not that bad considering the market right now.

It still runs out of Memory going after full resolution decode of URSA 12K or 8K decode. So I use 4K decode.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Nov 30, 2021 4:55 am

moved to resolve forum
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

smunaut

PostTue Nov 30, 2021 8:48 am

You mention Fusion, and my experience is that Fusion is just slow. (Also note Fusion always works with native source and doesn't use proxies/optimized media).

I have a Ryzen 7 3700X with 32G of RAM and a RTX2070 Super with 8G of RAM and most Fusion stuff I do doesn't play real time.

The rest of Resolve is fine working with 4k BRAW, including basic grading, but Fusion ... not so much.
Resolve Studio - Ryzen 5800X3D - AMD RX6600 / NVidia RTX 4070 (switching between the 2) - Linux

Return to DaVinci Resolve