H4N is killing me!

Got something to discuss that's not about Blackmagic products? Then check out the Off-Topic forum!
  • Author

GalinMcMahon

H4N is killing me!

PostThu Dec 09, 2021 7:39 pm

I am currently using an H4N Pro. The sound floor and the random, widely-documented, issue with the crazy harsh static (solved by hitting the unit or plugging headphones into the mic port...really?) and just the amount of noise even at low gain and then even with a preamp are all driving me bonkers. If you take the time during production to get it right, it doesn't seem like you should still have to denoise.

I'm looking for a recommendation for a portable unit in the H4N's approximate price range that is just really good. I used an H6 the other night and it didn't have the static but there was still a good amount of noise even around 50% gain. I think the Tascam unit looks pretty good and I believe it has 4 xlr inputs (don't quote me) but I kind of want to just get one that will definitely sound good. Trying to stay under $1,000 for now.

Suggestions?
Water cooled Windows 11 laptop
i9 12th gen - 64GB RAM - 16GB 3080ti
2TB 4th gen nvme main - 4TB 4th gen nvme scratch
Micro panel (thank you BM :) ) - Stream Deck
Resolve Studio 18.5
BenQ ultrawide - DeckLink 4k mini via Sonnet - 48” LG C2 OLED

Brad Hurley

Re: H4N is killing me!

PostThu Dec 09, 2021 10:02 pm

Sound Devices MixPre recorders or check out the very new Tascam Portacapture X8
Resolve 18 Studio, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2

GalinMcMahon

PostMon Dec 13, 2021 6:30 pm

Thanks Brad! I did a shoot this weekend with a couple Sennheiser lavs (niiiiice) and my H4N. The audio from the H4N is just not usable, with neither the internal mics nor the shotgun. I frankly don't understand how this is a popular unit at any price point. I actually ended up using my bmpcc internal mic as my backup.

Do the units you suggested require external preamps? I'm hoping to be able to return the fethead which has not helped matters at all (I'm sure it's Zoom's issue.)
Resolve Studio 18.5

Brad Hurley

PostMon Dec 13, 2021 9:53 pm

GalinMcMahon wrote:Do the units you suggested require external preamps?

No.
Resolve 18 Studio, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2

dondidnod

PostTue Dec 14, 2021 2:24 am

GalinMcMahon wrote:The audio from the H4N is just not usable, with neither the internal mics nor the shotgun. I frankly don't understand how this is a popular unit at any price point. I actually ended up using my bmpcc internal mic as my backup.

Do the units you suggested require external preamps? I'm hoping to be able to return the fethead which has not helped matters at all (I'm sure it's Zoom's issue.)

The Zoom H5 and above have better preamps. Zoom markets their products on their long battery life. That's why they are a prosumer brand, not a professional one. They sell their products on how many boxes you can check, not on their audio quality.

Sound Devices products use class A circuits that provide more amperage when the level is close to clipping and does not sound as harsh when it does clip. It has greater headroom in the signal. It also eliminates the problem of intermodulation distortion, since it does not have to match the plus recording to the minus recording used in the more efficient Class AB pre-amps.

Long battery life means that when you need the amperage the most, it will fail on you and clip. The reserve (that wastes your battery most of the time) is not there. Your recording will be unusable instead of just fair.

My Broadcast audio professor warned me about Zoom and recommended that I buy a Sound Devices product. He has over a decade of experience recording for Skywalker Sound so I took his advice. He let me borrow one of the school's Zoom F8s (same preamps as the smaller F6) to do this comparison.

Re: Sound Devices MixPre-6 II (second generation)
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=97842&p=557437&hilit=Thunderball#p557437

You can even run a noise reduction plug-in on a MixPre.

Killing it's owner is not typical behavior for a hand held audio appliance. You will be missed.

GalinMcMahon

PostWed Dec 15, 2021 9:08 pm

Thanks Don! I'm seriously confused as to why the H4N is so popular. I've found it to be absolute junk. I've been trying to sell it but I don't know if I can even give it away. I like the look of that new Tascam unit but I will definitely research the Sound Devices product line as that seems to be a recommended, relatively affordable solution that has the quality I'm looking for.

Thanks again!
Resolve Studio 18.5

Howard Roll

PostWed Dec 15, 2021 10:46 pm

So I (DP) had a Sennheiser 416 and a Marantz 661, the Director had an NTG3 and H4N. We did an AB comparison, neither of us were articulate or attuned enough to describe the differences in the mics. The difference in recorders would have been obvious with TV speakers let alone studio monitors. I don't know why people recommend the H4N, you're not crazy, it sounds like poo.

Good Luck

Ellory Yu

PostFri Dec 17, 2021 7:36 am

I would not go for the Zoom products. I have used the Marantz 661 and 706 and have been delighted with them. Unfortunately they are no longer available. The Sound Devices MixPre are excellent too. If it was me today, I would go with the SD over any Tascams.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Return to Off-Topic