Programming Language

Got something to discuss that's not about Blackmagic products? Then check out the Off-Topic forum!
  • Author

Jim Simon

Programming Language

PostFri Apr 29, 2022 3:26 pm

Let's say you just weren't satisfied with the media players available for Windows. VLC, PotPlayer, even Media Player Classic just don't have the features you want.

Let's also say you have sufficient hubris to believe you can do it better.

What programming language would you choose to code that new player?
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

iddos-l

Re: Programming Language

PostFri Apr 29, 2022 3:53 pm

I would go with python because it’s probably the easiest or fastest language to learn.
You will probably end up using a library like opencv so it doesn’t really matter if you choose c++ or python because they both use it.

But this question is of course much harder to answer, if you want to build something from scratch its probably better to use c++ but I really don’t see a benefit of learning a programming language jut for creating a new player.
There are so many good ones and it takes lots of time to learn and study programming.
But for the sake of learning a new skill I say yes, do it, no matter the current motivation. Its really good to know to code, even the basic stuff.
So, I would say, go with python.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ellory Yu

PostSat Apr 30, 2022 6:09 am

If you are already a programmer I will say to use python as the backend and command line interface and use JavaScript and the Electron framework for the UI. This will make your app very portable across windows, Mac, and Linux at the least.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Jim Simon

PostSat Apr 30, 2022 3:24 pm

iddos-l wrote:I really don’t see a benefit of learning a programming language jut for creating a new player.
I'm actually wanting something more than just a media player. It's just that playing back video and audio files is the crux of the program I want to create, and I don't have the funds to hire someone who already has the skills.

It's been a while, but at one time I taught myself Basic and Assembly. So like I said...hubris. ;)
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

iddos-l

PostSat Apr 30, 2022 3:59 pm

Wow assembly is so tedious and hard.
I’m sure python or Js for that matter will feel like a breeze compare to assembly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris Leutger

PostTue May 03, 2022 7:37 pm

Jim Simon wrote:Let's say you just weren't satisfied with the media players available for Windows. VLC, PotPlayer, even Media Player Classic just don't have the features you want.

Let's also say you have sufficient hubris to believe you can do it better.

I'll beta test! I moved to VLC long ago, but there are times I wish I would mash WMP and VLC together and then add features it feels like we should have in 2022.
Amateur Auteur

AMD 7800X3d 8c 5 GHz - GSkill DDR5-6000 (EXPO) 32x2
Nvidia 1080 Ti 8GB - WD SN850x 2 TB
Resolve 18.5 - Ubuntu 22.04

Hendrik Proosa

PostWed Jun 08, 2022 6:59 am

A bit old thread but if you want to do ”stuff” with image data, C++ is kind of hard to cross over. For my Braw player project I use C++. GUI is done with Qt framework and draw code is using OpenGL here and there (view shader system). viewtopic.php?f=3&t=92559

I don’t know squat about Electron, JS etc so maybe it is easy to cobble something up without ever touching c++.
I do stuff.

Return to Off-Topic