Feed back on work

Got something to discuss that's not about Blackmagic products? Then check out the Off-Topic forum!
  • Author

ethanxatris

Feed back on work

PostMon Jul 04, 2022 1:15 am

Hello, just finished this mini documentary I made shot on the BMPCC4K and edited in Resolve. Don't know if this is the place to post it but I am looking for feedback on it before I dive into my next project. Let me know what you think,
Thanks.

Link:www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBx8VLC85OU&t=1s
Last edited by ethanxatris on Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Leon Benzakein

Re: Feed back on work

PostSun Jul 10, 2022 3:12 pm

Ethan

If I watched the correct video about Kacie Davis (Astr'20)

I LOVED IT!

Having said that let me offer my critique since this is what you asked for.
Not knowing if these were artistic decisions on your part, the jump cuts in the interview stood out but again that may be what you wanted to do.
The reflections in her spectacles(again not sure if creative choice)
The angle of the body language, the way she positioned her body to camera.

As I say all these things may have been creative choices.

Be Bould! ;)

I totally enjoyed the time spent with this person.
Looking forward to seeing your next piece.
Television: Lighting/Cameraman, O.B. Camera Operator, Experience in EFP, EPG and ENG , Grip, Lamp Operator
Film: Grip, Lamp Operator
Theater: Lighting Designer, Light board Operator, Stage Electrician, Stage Management

Ellory Yu

PostMon Jul 11, 2022 4:44 am

Ethan, I love it! Good job guy.
Here are my thoughts, not critiques because as like Leon, these maybe your choices.
The jump cuts, they are noticeable, and gets distracting after a few went by while watching.
She needs to pause. That may be her nature of talking continuously but as editor, you might want to control that flow.
Otherwise if this is your creative intentions, then go for it and just put it out there. Best wishes.

BTW, there is a thread under Cinematography that is called something like “Look at what I shot”… that’s where most of us post this kind of material.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Jim Simon

PostSun Jul 17, 2022 2:09 pm

These are the things I notice most.

The framing of the subject is...odd.

Her body is facing left, but she's looking right. Why? It's...odd.

The empty area that dominates her framing is also...odd.

The 2.4 aspect of the interview is...odd.

Unless your subject is Max Headroom, jump cuts for a talking head are always an amateur mistake. They're distracting, and annoying.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

rNeil H

PostSun Jul 17, 2022 7:31 pm

For me, the deep shadows on her shadows side of the face are an issue. A bit too harsh contrast on the main subject's face. This is like 8:1 or so. 3:1 or even 4:1 would have been better.

And in effext on the shot, a little close-in fill light would have really popped her out of the darker shadows beyond her.

You typically want your talking head to pop from the background, not meld into the shadows.

And yea, jump cuts are a pain. To avoid them you often need to lead a subject back through something a couple times. And judiciously cut in and out of b-roll.

I also got hammered for jump cuts my first couple talking heads ... sigh.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

ethanxatris

PostTue Jul 26, 2022 4:39 pm

Thank you everyone for your feedback. Jumpcuts where definitely something I tried to avoid but a few did make it into the final cut. I used the smooth cut transition, cuting to B-roll and some other weird VFX things to eliminate most of the jumpcuts but a lot of them still made it in. Having the subject go through serval times answering the question will be something I do next time. The lighting was a bit dark, I am investing in more lights as I only had two to work with for that interview. The aspect ratio was intentional, and there are a few different aspect ratios throughout, starting out in DCI than going into 2.4 then DCI than Supper Panavision 77 and than back to DCI again. There was a lot of black space in the framing of the interview, I attempted to fix this by adding in the monitors that you see in the interview, is there anything else I could try to add to fill out this blank space or should I just brig the subject closer to the camera? Thank you for all your feedback,
Have a great day,
Ethan.

Jim Simon

PostWed Jul 27, 2022 3:39 pm

ethanxatris wrote:is there anything else I could try to add to fill out this blank space or should I just brig the subject closer to the camera?
It would look better at the 16:9 aspect, filling the frame.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Quietman

PostFri Aug 12, 2022 2:56 am

A comment on her positioning during the interview. Had there been part of a desktop in the lower left with even just a small part of a keyboard visible, it would have given the impression you were talking to her while she was working at her computer. Just like what happens everyday, everywhere. Would have made her body position and head position not being in the same direction seem natural.

Having her off to the side and NOT following the rule of thirds is a stylistic choice, but as was mentioned in another post, the aspect ratio left too much empty space to the right. Kept catching my eyes flicking from her face to the screens in the background. Part of this was because the angles of the top monitor edges pulled your eyes to the right. Had they been aligned so the top edges made you follow them to her face, it would have kept attention more focused on her.

Return to Off-Topic