Davinci Resolve's Free Sound Library

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

PeteAndrews

Davinci Resolve's Free Sound Library

PostWed Oct 05, 2022 2:45 pm

Hello there, I'm not sure where to post this, so I'm sorry if it's in the wrong place. I'm looking for some help with the free sound library, I have emailed support, and they did get back to me pretty quick with the info I was enquiring about. However, as this is all still pretty new to me, I am finding it difficult to find the correct answer to my question, so here goes.

My friend has started streaming/making recordings of gameplay etc, and he has asked me if I wanted to edit for him. So I agreed as I have more free time than him, so far I have done only minor edits to his vods as he hasn't got any recordings for me to make into videos. The problem currently is if I agree to the EULA will that affect him, as I'm the one who is editing the videos and will be the one who uploads and publishes them on YouTube.

We are trying not to infringe on any copyright. In the email I received back the support agent said "In regards to your query I would recommend that you read the EULA and licensing of the Fairlight Sound Library as this goes into depth regarding the uses and copyright of the sounds used."

I have read the EULA half a dozen times and I don't think I'm understanding what it says really. I know if it was me solely making videos and uploading them to my own YouTube, I am okay. But as I'm only editing the videos and wanting to possibly add SFX if needed, I'm a little stumped.

So any advice would be greatly appreciated. And sorry for the wall of text, I want to make sure I'm not doing anything wrong.

Pete

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: Davinci Resolve's Free Sound Library

PostFri Oct 07, 2022 2:14 am

Thanks for checking.

You are ok to use the sound library to make or modify work provided you are using DaVinci Resolve or DaVinci Resolve Studio. Even if this is for someone else. You are effectively using it for commercial purposes even though you may not be charging your friend direct payment.

The relevant clause

The Licensee is entitled to download, install and use the Sounds on any personal computer or networked machine of the Licensee only, for the sole purpose of use in projects created and finished using DaVinci Resolve or DaVinci Resolve Studio software (‘DaVinci Resolve Projects’), whether such projects are for personal or commercial use (the ‘Permitted Use’).
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Alex Silva

PostFri Oct 07, 2022 8:35 am

So if i am reading this correctly, the restriction is that it can only be used to edit in Resolve/Resolve Studio, you cannot use the sound library to edit in Premiere for example.

PeteAndrews

PostMon Oct 10, 2022 2:03 am

Thank you for clearing that up for me. I'm just being overcautious

Pete

Return to DaVinci Resolve