Atomos and 8K sensor

Got something to discuss that's not about Blackmagic products? Then check out the Off-Topic forum!
  • Author

Andrew Kolakowski

Atomos and 8K sensor

PostMon Oct 24, 2022 6:22 pm

WahWay

Re: Atomos and 8K sensor

PostThu Oct 27, 2022 6:35 pm

If it keeps Blackmagic honest because of a potential rival camera maker its win for us customers. Will they up the game on after sale support? At present this announcement maybe they are offering their sensor to camera manufacturers.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostThu Oct 27, 2022 7:04 pm

No idea- they took over Grass Valley which had knowledge and skill, so maybe they decided to use it. Not much info in what shape this will all materialise (or maybe it won't at the end).

Howard Roll

PostThu Oct 27, 2022 10:56 pm

Belden owned Grass Valley until two years ago when they were acquired by Black Dragon Capital for roughly $300,000,000. Atomos is barely profitable and worth a fraction of that amount. Atomos allegedly purchased some IP, not the company. The guy writing the DP article probably has no clue who/what Grass Valley is which is why this nonsense was published without checking the facts.

Good Luck

Andrew Kolakowski

PostThu Oct 27, 2022 11:28 pm

Funny you said this as I had doubts.
GV is quite big company with a lot of hardware and tech worth a lot and I knew they changed owner few times over last years, but never heard of Atomos buying them. Well- always double check :)

Michel Rabe

PostSun Nov 06, 2022 4:14 pm

https://petapixel.com/2022/11/04/atomos ... ame-8k60p/

15 stops DR, Global shutter and only 2W power draw.

BMD, can you please buy this sensor like yesterday?

carlomacchiavello

Atomos and 8K sensor

PostSun Nov 06, 2022 4:47 pm

Michel Rabe wrote:https://petapixel.com/2022/11/04/atomos-sapphire-sensor-revealed-global-shutter-full-frame-8k60p/

15 stops DR, Global shutter and only 2W power draw.

BMD, can you please buy this sensor like yesterday?
I’m quite skeptic, atomos isn’t a ex Blackmagic Design employees? I remember something about dark past and friction between the two companies.
But… never say never

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Howard Roll

PostThu Nov 10, 2022 12:23 am

I’m skeptical as well. This looks more like a last ditch effort to create some share value before the company implodes.

An 8k sensor developed by Grass Valley, finished by Canon and Sony engineers? Atomos has fallen under much scrutiny of late for inflating figures, this looks to be more of the same. I don’t think that Atomos will be a soluble company a year from now.

The copy doesn’t even make sense. The Atomos 8k camera was sidelined when BM started making cameras…that was a decade ago. This sensor is science fiction today let alone 2012. It’s also worth mentioning that the sensor achieves the “15 stops” of DR by line interpolation which isn’t really 8k.

Good Luck

John Brawley

PostThu Nov 17, 2022 12:00 am

Seems like they are in a bit of trouble...

McGechie claims Atomos knowingly shipped dud products (“for all intents and purposes, paper weights”) to meet sales forecasts, and that in late 2021 she presented to the board about “channel stuffing and why it was illegal”, to no avail.

and

The Silicon Valley-based McGechie, a former Apple developer who was appointed Atomos CEO in September 2021, has alleged Atomos engaged variously in “securities fraud and revenue manipulation”, “falsely reporting material sales forecast information”, “channel stuffing” (shipping excessive stock to distributors to artificially boost short-term sales figures), and “insider trading”.

https://www.afr.com/rear-window/ex-ceo- ... 831-p5be2q

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Return to Off-Topic