Does Avid crash constantly?

Got something to discuss that's not about Blackmagic products? Then check out the Off-Topic forum!
  • Author

GalinMcMahon

PostMon Dec 19, 2022 4:07 pm

These constant crashes are getting really old. I can see why Hollywood doesn't edit on Resolve. I *think* some of the studios use Premiere so do they have a way to make it not crash or do they just put their money on the line and hope for the best? Is Avid bullet proof in this regard?
Water cooled Windows 11 laptop
i9 12th gen - 64GB RAM - 16GB 3080ti
2TB 4th gen nvme main - 4TB 4th gen nvme scratch
Micro panel (thank you BM :) ) - Stream Deck
Resolve Studio 18.5
BenQ ultrawide - DeckLink 4k mini via Sonnet - 48” LG C2 OLED

carlomacchiavello

PostWed Jan 04, 2023 11:35 pm

GalinMcMahon wrote:These constant crashes are getting really old. I can see why Hollywood doesn't edit on Resolve. I *think* some of the studios use Premiere so do they have a way to make it not crash or do they just put their money on the line and hope for the best? Is Avid bullet proof in this regard?
I use resolve to edit and color from 2013 on Mac and windows, and I see very few crash, less than ten twelve at year.
The same premiere, edius, and more.
I ever worked on Documentary, indipendente feature film, serial.

Don’t you think that the problem could be on your computer instead on software?

Inviato dal mio iPad utilizzando Tapatalk

Steve Fishwick

Re: Does Avid crash constantly?

PostThu Jan 05, 2023 12:14 pm

No software is bullet proof, from crashing. Avid can and does crash quite regularly, if not too often,, though it is usually installed in a facility support environment with experienced engineers. No facility either will be working on the very latest version (of Avid), since they rigorously quality test each version for the best stability in that critical production environment. Having said that I have not had many crashes at all, from either Avid or Resolve Studio in my home studio, where I naturally have to provide my own support. (Well I do pay mandatory support for Avid and have a certified system but I have only contacted them twice in 5 years.)

Return to Off-Topic