Is my monitor any good? Should I upgrade? (~1500 € budget)

Got something to discuss that's not about Blackmagic products? Then check out the Off-Topic forum!
  • Author

c010r15t

Is my monitor any good? Should I upgrade? (~1500 € budget)

PostSun Jan 15, 2023 7:58 pm

I do color grading and editing as a hobby and I have about ~ 1500 € / $ 1600 to spend on a new monitor, but I know next to nothing about what to look for so I'd appreciate any advice.

I currently have two monitors side by side:

Main: HP Z24n: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04630679

Secondary: HP Compaq LA2405wg: https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp ... 06/manuals

I bought these separately and long before I even knew what color grading was and I've had them for years so I don't have a comparison to anything else.

The Z24n I am pretty happy with in the sense that the same image looks clearly better (brighter and more colorful) than on the other, which is why this is my main monitor, in DR I use this one for everything and the other just for scopes, media folders etc.

How good or rather how bad is the Z24n, in absolute terms? I know it's nowhere near an actual color grading monitor but I would like an estimate.

Now the question of upgrading: I read some reviews for affordable monitors usable for color grading and the ASUS ProArt PA329C seems to be well regarded and would be within my budget. Would that be a good choice? Is there some later equivalent ProArt model that would be better maybe?

However, I also saw that some people use ultrawide monitors for editing and have a separate reference monitor for color grading - for example, one member here uses the Dell U4919DW, which allows split screen mode when using two separate inputs (see here and here).

I'd love to have an ultrawide monitor for uses other than color grading/editing, so I would maybe sacrifice some color ability for that. The price would be about the same for both.

So, my question is: I am sure that the Dell U4919DW is worse than the ASUS ProArt PA329C when it comes to color grading, but on the other hand it would be great for everything else.

Therefore, the options are:

1. buy the ASUS ProArt PA329C (or an equivalent model), use that as the main monitor, keep the Z24n as the secondary and the LA2405wg as the tertiary

2. buy the Dell U4919DW and use the Z24n as the secondary/tertiary with splitscreen, and in the future buy the ASUS ProArt or something equivalent as a reference monitor
Windows 11
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core / 3.60 GHz
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660
Resolve 18.6.4

Ellory Yu

Re: Is my monitor any good? Should I upgrade? (~1500 € budge

PostMon Jan 16, 2023 6:11 am

You might want to consider this over the ones above.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... 6cQAvD_BwE
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

c010r15t

Re: Is my monitor any good? Should I upgrade? (~1500 € budge

PostSat Jan 28, 2023 10:29 pm

Thank you, I will! :)
Windows 11
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core / 3.60 GHz
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660
Resolve 18.6.4

Return to Off-Topic