Microphone Help - Blue Yeti

Got something to discuss that's not about Blackmagic products? Then check out the Off-Topic forum!
  • Author

Scouser

Microphone Help - Blue Yeti

PostFri Jan 27, 2023 8:49 am

Hi all

I have successfully recorded voiceover with my new Blue Yeti. Have tried to connect again today and find the microphone is not there as an option to patch.

The mic is a USB with USBC adaptor (used 3 adaptors to test). I get the windows message 'The last USB device you connected to this computer has malfunctioned and windows doesn't recognize it '

The microphone however works fine with Audacity and Windows voice recorder. I have searched for a solution but no luck yet.

Any ideas at all ?

Thanks

Lego+1

Re: Microphone Help - Blue Yeti

PostSat Mar 04, 2023 7:12 am

I hit something of a perfect storm with my blue yeti and my dell laptop

my yeti died fairly quickly. I tried a few usb cables and got lucky. Not sure if there is such a thing as a shielded usb cable but that might help. I suspect the long usb cable they ship with, while admirable in design... i'm not sure its up to the task in practice. Maybe 6 feet in length is stretching it for a usb cable.

What complicated matters was a mic that sometimes would work and sometimes would not. After alot of googling, i learned the dell laptop i owned had some audio bug / glitch with sound over usb. Probably 95% of people would never notice except when you try to hook up a usb microphone to it. To my knowledge it was never resolved.
12th Gen Intel Core i7-12700KF 3.61 GHz 32.0 GB ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti
Windows 11 Home Version 21H2 OS build 22000.1335

leslie chard

PostSun Mar 05, 2023 7:42 am

Going back a few years, i had a perfect storm with my yeti microphone. The really long cable that came with my yeti died relatively quickly. Within months, although my mind is affected by some kind of time dilation, it may have longer but not by much. Compounding that was a dell laptop that had a problem with sound or perhaps microphones over usb. To my knowledge the sound issue was never fixed, and it sometime worked but mostly did not. Much frustration ensued.
I can only suggest you try a shorter usb cable as i suspect the supplied six foot long cable might be a bridge too far. My new cable is shorter and i haven't run into any problems with using a shorter cable length, I would also look into a shielded type of cable, if such a beast exists.

The yeti now works with a msi desktop (xmas present) through the system ok, i have yet to try it through any software programs however.

given that it is a usb device and recognized when its plugged in, perhaps the software needs an update or reinstall? The other thing might be cheap adapters or cables. Pretty sure i had to try several cables before i found one that worked. Even a brand new one failed to work.

carlomacchiavello

PostWed Mar 15, 2023 6:15 pm

Replacing long usb cable + adapter with short single cable without adapter?
Most of problems is related to adapter

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Return to Off-Topic