Davinci Resolve scammers

Got something to discuss that's not about Blackmagic products? Then check out the Off-Topic forum!
  • Author

callumjjm

Davinci Resolve scammers

PostMon Feb 06, 2023 2:40 pm

Hi! I'm Callum

I'm a YouTuber and I was recently reached out to by a "Helen Dixon", claiming to be an advertising manager at black magic. I was offered a sponsorship to promote Davinci Resolve.

There were a few red flags in the initial email I noticed, but I figured I'd entertain it on the off chance it was legit.

chrome_glfkw8VsQ2.png
Email 1
chrome_glfkw8VsQ2.png (46.3 KiB) Viewed 11530 times

I just received the second email and I have no doubt this is an attempt at compromising my YouTube channel.

chrome_ZKPCZS18PD.png
Email 2
chrome_ZKPCZS18PD.png (52.16 KiB) Viewed 11530 times

I wanted to raise attention to this so as few people as possible fall victim to these sorts of scams.

[I highlighted the red flags in the attached screenshots]

Charles Bennett

Re: Davinci Resolve SCAM

PostMon Feb 06, 2023 5:45 pm

This was highlighted in this post and BMD are taking action.
https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=175476
Resolve Studio 19.0b build 20
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (551.86 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

callumjjm

Re: Davinci Resolve SCAM

PostMon Feb 06, 2023 5:47 pm

Excellent, thank you so much for the clarity!

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: Davinci Resolve scam

PostTue Feb 21, 2023 2:47 am

Besides the fact that BMD wouldn’t email spam, we like any legitimate company would not use a hey.com or kakao.com email address.

Unfortunately it’s challenging to get these taken down.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Lo6eded

FAKE BlackMagic Scam/VIRUS SPONSORSHIP..

PostWed Mar 01, 2023 6:09 am

First things first, I have been using Blackmagic products for a while now specifically DAVINCI RESOLVE & I’ve found it great so far. But recently I received a sponsorship email stating the following:
-
-

Blackmagic Design, Inc.
Lõõtsa 5, 11415 Tallinn, Estonia
Deeply respected Potential Partner:
You, specifically your channel, have been selected from many YouTube channels to promote our new software "DaVinci Resolve 18".
If you will be ready to cooperate with our company and actively distribute videos with our software on your YouTube channel, then please answer this email and we will send you all the terms of the contract and the promotional video itself.
Kind regards,
John Bahringer
Customer Service Representative of Blackmagic Design, Inc.

Copyright 2023 Blackmagic Design. All rights reserved. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
-
And unfortunately I responded & clicked the zip file they sent. The zip file was in rar format and blocked by a password they provided in their following email. Once the file was extracted I noticed that the “contract” was in scr format which is Odd. I looked it up and what do you know, it’s a common form of malware. I’ve deleted all files and everything I used to open the files. I’ve ran windows security anti malware & removed all temporary files. If you’ve dealt with this before is my pc still compromised? Is there anything else I should do? Please let me know asap. Thanks all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RCModelReviews

PostTue Aug 15, 2023 4:06 pm

Looks like they're still going... received this today from sarahwalsh@kakao.com :

Hello,

I hope this message finds you in high spirits! My name is Sarah and I am the PR Manager at Blackmagic Design! We are following your channel and would like to offer you a partnership with us.

DaVinci Resolve is the world’s only solution that combines editing, color correction, visual effects, motion graphics and audio post production all in one software tool! Its elegant, modern interface is fast to learn and easy for new users, yet powerful for professionals. High end professionals working on feature films and television shows use DaVinci Resolve more than any other solution!

We are interested in a full review or at least a 60 seconds preroll. The price will vary depending on the type of advertising. Reply to this email for more information and to discuss the terms of cooperation.

Thank you for exploring this promising partnership opportunity with Blackmagic Design.

Regards,
PR Manager Sarah,
Blackmagic Design
Resolve 18.1 Studio, Fusion 9 Studio
CPU: i7 8700, OS: Windows 10 32GB RAM, GPU: RTX3060
I'm refugee from Sony Vegas slicing video for my YouTube channels.

Wolfborg

PostSun Sep 03, 2023 5:14 pm

I've also been contacted for this similar DaVinci Resolve scam. What's weird about it for me is that I only got it about 20 hours after I entered my info to download DaVinci Resolve for the first time. So either it's an extreme coincidence or I can only assume they somehow retrieve information for these through your current database of information that's entered when users register to download.

Here's the email I received:

meriem

EMAIL from Davinci Resolve is scam or true

PostTue Sep 05, 2023 8:11 pm

Hi! I'm meriem
i have a channel in YouTube and recently I received Gmail from *davinci.desig2@kakao.com* it was offered a sponsorship to promote Davinci Resolve and i want to To confirm if it is true or scam this my email ....
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-09-05 at 21-07-52 Advertising Davinci Blackmagic YouTube Promotion For You - psychologyfacts84@gmail.com - Gmail.png
Screenshot 2023-09-05 at 21-07-52 Advertising Davinci Blackmagic YouTube Promotion For You - psychologyfacts84@gmail.com - Gmail.png (70.13 KiB) Viewed 6488 times

Charles Bennett

Re: Davinci Resolve scammers

PostWed Sep 06, 2023 11:20 am

Meriem, it's a scam. A genuine one, which as Peter pointed out Blackmagic do not do, would not come from Estonia. ;)
Resolve Studio 19.0b build 20
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (551.86 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

alanmesquita

fake Blackmagic employee beware

PostThu Sep 14, 2023 11:39 am

I also received this email from fake Blackmagic. Careful! I sent him a message Ha Ha Ha...
Attachments
scam 01.PNG
scam 01.PNG (86.36 KiB) Viewed 5711 times
Mi Menssg.PNG
Mi Menssg.PNG (37.8 KiB) Viewed 5711 times
Scam 2.PNG
Scam 2.PNG (99.32 KiB) Viewed 5711 times

Return to Off-Topic