How to help film gear addiction

Got something to discuss that's not about Blackmagic products? Then check out the Off-Topic forum!
  • Author

Alex=Alex

How to help film gear addiction

PostMon Mar 13, 2023 4:39 pm

Hey all, I wanted to hear from others cause I know its not just me.
I was wondering about ways people deal with this problem.

Picture this:
-Looks at awesome gear online that costs $1000
-Gear doesn't have a use - its just super cool
-Could easily get a less capable/cheaper one that does basically the same thing
-Recognizes this
-tells myself "ill use it" and "I need it"
-Doesn't even have a current project to use it on
-Buys it
-Uses it once but it itches the itch
-I realize my mistake
-Sells it for less on Facebook marketplace.
-Repeat again.

What are ways you all itch the itch when looking at awesome gear and making emotional purchases? I would be curious to hear what gear you've all made this mistake on.
Inside the box? I didn't know about any box...

Matthew_Lawrence

Re: How to help film gear addiction

PostWed Mar 15, 2023 6:48 pm

I definitely suffer from Gear Acquisition Syndrome (GAS). I also know plenty of people in other fields, such as musicians, who suffer from it too.

I normally do 2 things:
1) Allocate a certain percentage of the profit from every job into a gear fund. The exact percentage will depend on your circumstances. I can then use this money to buy whatever gear I want without guilt, but I only get to spend what is in the gear fund. When it's gone I have to build it up again by getting jobs in etc....

2) When I see something I really want, I make myself wait at least a week or two before I buy it. Often, if it's just an emotional purchase, the urge fades and I decide I don't really need it.

Hope that helps.

Matt

Jonathan Evans

PostWed Mar 15, 2023 10:08 pm

Cure for GAS?

Get married!

"You want to spend what on what!"

Matthew_Lawrence

PostWed Mar 15, 2023 11:19 pm

Jonathan Evans wrote:Cure for GAS?

Get married!

"You want to spend what on what!"

:lol: True

Leon Benzakein

PostThu Mar 16, 2023 12:49 pm

You only live once. :ugeek:

Scratch the itch. :mrgreen:

You cannot take the money with you when you are gone. :roll:

Sell the wife. :D
Television: Lighting/Cameraman, O.B. Camera Operator, Experience in EFP, EPG and ENG , Grip, Lamp Operator
Film: Grip, Lamp Operator
Theater: Lighting Designer, Light board Operator, Stage Electrician, Stage Management

ricardo marty

PostThu Mar 16, 2023 2:34 pm

Had that syndrome,now over it, however im getting the itch for the new atem studio hd and 3 cameras, I dont need them but would like to have them. Maybe if I hit the lottery.

Ricardo Marty
DVR_S 18.5, Asus ProArt PD5, 2.5 GHz i7 16-Core 64GB of 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM GeForce RTX 3070 1TB M.2 NVMe Window 11, LenovoLegion 2.6 i7 10750h 2.6, 64gb 3200mhz, rtx 2060, 1tb ssd M.2 Win 11 BenQ PD3420Q, Sony FS700R, Bmp4k, Sony A6700. PreSonus AudioBox

rafaelrobertson

PostThu May 11, 2023 5:40 pm

Alex=Alex wrote:Hey all, I wanted to hear from others cause I know its not just me.
I was wondering about ways people deal with this problem.

Picture this:
-Looks at awesome gear online that costs $1000
-Gear doesn't have a use - its just super cool
-Could easily get a less capable/cheaper one that does basically the same thing
-Recognizes this wwe 2k23 game for mobile
-tells myself "ill use it" and "I need it"
-Doesn't even have a current project to use it on
-Buys it
-Uses it once but it itches the itch
-I realize my mistake
-Sells it for less on Facebook marketplace.
-Repeat again.

What are ways you all itch the itch when looking at awesome gear and making emotional purchases? I would be curious to hear what gear you've all made this mistake on.

It's common for many people to experience the temptation of making impulsive purchases, especially when it comes to cool gear or gadgets. Here are a few strategies that can help you avoid making emotional purchases and find healthier ways to satisfy your itch for new gear:

Set a budget: Determine a reasonable budget for your hobby or interests and stick to it. This will help you prioritize your purchases and prevent overspending on unnecessary items.

Wait before buying: When you come across something you really want, give yourself a cooling-off period. Step away and take some time to think about whether it's a practical and necessary purchase. Often, the initial excitement fades, and you may realize you don't need it after all.

Evaluate your needs: Before making a purchase, consider if the item aligns with your current projects, goals, or interests. Assess if it will truly enhance your experience or if it's just a novelty item that might end up unused.

Research alternatives: Explore different options and compare prices, features, and reviews. You may find similar gear that suits your needs at a lower cost or with better value.

Borrow or rent: If you're unsure about a particular item or don't see a long-term use for it, consider borrowing or renting it instead. This allows you to satisfy your curiosity without committing to a permanent purchase.

Focus on experiences: Instead of accumulating more gear, shift your focus to gaining experiences and skills within your hobby or interest. Invest in workshops, classes, or activities that can enrich your knowledge and enjoyment.

Practice gratitude and contentment: Take a moment to appreciate and enjoy the gear you already have. Sometimes, reminding yourself of what you already own can help curb the desire for constant upgrades or new purchases.

Remember, it's perfectly normal to have an interest in new gear, but being mindful and intentional with your purchases can save you from unnecessary expenses and regrets.

Return to Off-Topic