Ownership after Crowdfunding

Got something to discuss that's not about Blackmagic products? Then check out the Off-Topic forum!
  • Author

vivoices

Ownership after Crowdfunding

PostThu Mar 30, 2023 6:36 am

I am working on a 60 minutes documentary for 3 years now. I funded everything myself up until now. 99% of the shooting is done.
Sadly I need to look for funds to finish editing, music etc.

Crowdfunding is an option at this point, but I am unsure about how that will affect my ownership of the film.

I'd appreciate any advice or info about how to get advice.
Udo Jansen

Win 10 Pro 22H2, Resolve Studio 18.6.4, R9 5950X, 128 GB RAM, Quadro P4000 (8GB VRAM) 551.61 NSD, Intensity Pro 4K | Pocket6Ks FW7.9.1 | Speed Editor

Pieter Van Houte

Re: Ownership after Crowdfunding

PostThu Mar 30, 2023 12:29 pm

Funding a project only gives you ownership if that's what you agreed.

You can ask for funding, and as a reward you give them a copy of the film or whatnot, or a ticket to the premiere, some sandwiches and a glass of something fancy.

It's your film. Your ownership of it doesn't change until you say it does.
Support We Suck Less on Patreon -> https://www.patreon.com/wesuckless

https://www.steakunderwater.com/wesuckless

Jim Simon

PostMon Apr 03, 2023 4:07 pm

Laws will vary by country, I'm sure. And I'm definitely no Copyright lawyer.

In the U.S., my understanding is that a work is automatically Copyrighted as soon as it's laid down in a lasting medium - such as pen to paper, paint to canvas, images to film, etc.

The owner of the Copyright is either the creator of the work, or the entity who commissioned the work (Work For Hire).

I would not expect Crowdfudning to count as a Work For Hire. But...verify that.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

David_smith

PostMon Apr 03, 2023 6:04 pm

Crowdfunding can be a viable option to raise funds for completing your documentary, but it's important to understand the terms and conditions of the crowdfunding platform you choose to use. Generally, crowdfunding backers would not have ownership of your film, but they may be entitled to certain perks or rewards as outlined in your crowdfunding campaign.

To get advice on the legal implications of crowdfunding and retaining ownership of your film, you may want to consult with an entertainment lawyer who can guide you through the process and help you protect your rights as a filmmaker. Additionally, you could reach out to industry professionals or organizations that specialize in funding independent films to explore other potential funding options.

Ellory Yu

PostWed Apr 05, 2023 1:13 am

David_smith pretty much said it right. I urge not to give funders rewards or consideration that entitles them to merits of ownership - such as giving them credit on the film (particularly Executive Producer or thereof). There has been a lot of these previously and many ended in court, especially those that made the box office. But I wouldn't take that chance with crowdfunding. If you plan to do that, consult a lawyer who knows the industry.

Alternatively, save up a few thousand bucks for the post production cost. You might be able to find someone willing to help you for little money plus Editor credit. This, from experience, works the best.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Return to Off-Topic