Allocation Unit Size for a HDD storage drive

Got something to discuss that's not about Blackmagic products? Then check out the Off-Topic forum!
  • Author

meehow

Allocation Unit Size for a HDD storage drive

PostFri Apr 07, 2023 8:14 pm

Hi,

I have a 10TB internal HDD drive that I intend to use to store my files. I'm a Windows user.

I've read somewhere that for video or photo files, the larger the Allocation Size Unit the better.

When I want to format the drive, the highest available Allocation Unit Size is 2MB.

Is it better than the default option? Does it translate to better performance? I wonder if anyone here has formatted their hard drive this way? If not, can someone recommend the way to go?

Thanks!

Jim Simon

Re: Allocation Unit Size for a HDD storage drive

PostThu Apr 27, 2023 10:33 pm

I've never heard of anyone worrying about this.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

rafaelrobertson

PostTue May 02, 2023 6:54 am

meehow wrote:Hi,

I have a 10TB internal HDD drive that I intend to use to store my files. I'm a Windows user.

I've read somewhere that for video or photo files, the larger the Allocation Size Unit the better.

When I want to format the drive, the highest available Allocation Unit Size is 2MB.
Home Theatre Installation Parker Colorado
Is it better than the default option? Does it translate to better performance? I wonder if anyone here has formatted their hard drive this way? If not, can someone recommend the way to go?

Thanks!

The Allocation Unit Size, also known as the cluster size, refers to the size of the smallest unit of disk space that can be allocated to a file. Choosing the right cluster size can have an impact on the performance of your hard drive. In general, larger cluster sizes are more efficient for storing larger files like videos and photos because they reduce the number of clusters needed to store a file. This can result in faster read and write speeds and less fragmentation on the hard drive. However, it's important to note that there are some downsides to using larger cluster sizes. For example, if you have a lot of small files, larger cluster sizes can result in wasted disk space since each file will take up at least one full cluster. In terms of the specific Allocation Unit Size to use for a 10TB hard drive, there isn't a one-size-fits-all answer. It depends on the type of files you'll be storing and how you'll be using the drive. However, in general, a cluster size of 2MB can be a good choice for a large hard drive like yours, especially if you'll be storing large files like videos and photos. If you have a lot of small files, you might consider using a smaller cluster size. On the other hand, if you'll primarily be storing large files, a larger cluster size like 2MB can provide better performance. When formatting your hard drive, you can experiment with different cluster sizes to see which one works best for your needs. Keep in mind that formatting your hard drive will erase all data on the drive, so make sure to back up any important files before proceeding.

humantekpk

PostSat May 13, 2023 11:05 am

Why do you worry about it?

Return to Off-Topic