Copywrite Protected Music Use

Got something to discuss that's not about Blackmagic products? Then check out the Off-Topic forum!
  • Author

kjlongtine

Copywrite Protected Music Use

PostWed Sep 13, 2023 4:05 pm

I have had to explain to clients (Internal/External) the reasons why they cannot have Van Halen music on their commercial, video, film, presentation, corporate event etc etc... more times than I can count as I am sure most of us have. But I have a group inside my current company who just will not take this as an answer. I have given them links explaining at nauseam the reason and legalities. They keep coming back asking "well, how much would it actually cost"? Just so I can settle the case and give them a somewhat ballpark number - has anyone ever tried to secure the rights to a popular song either for a film, commercial or even a giant corporate event? Not an indie artist who maybe scored a short film for a grand or so but more like a Bob Seger's "Like a Rock" for instance - I just want to show them a solid example of what is involved and the cost. Also it would be cool to hear about. Thank You to anyone who will humor me!

robin0112358

Re: Copywrite Protected Music Use

PostWed Sep 13, 2023 4:30 pm

Depends on use, media included, and region. Global obviously costs more.

For an A-list artist say 10 to 500 K in USD.
Robin Parmar
robinparmar.com | theatreofnoise.com | stolenmirror.com

Charles Bennett

Re: Copywrite Protected Music Use

PostMon Oct 16, 2023 6:55 pm

Back in the 1990s I used 30secs of a Queen track (can't remember which one) in a corporate production. Usage required the permission of the record company and the band themselves to make sure its usage would not put either into disrepute. The fee at the time was £100.00. The copyright owners of commercial tracks can charge what they like, there is no fixed scale unlike production music.
Many years ago there was a case of a production company using a copywrite track without permission. They received an invoice from the record company for £25,000.00. So it pays to get permission first before using. ;)
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 build 20
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (551.86 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

Return to Off-Topic