Davinci Resolve Logotype

Got something to discuss that's not about Blackmagic products? Then check out the Off-Topic forum!
  • Author

Telepaat

Davinci Resolve Logotype

PostMon Nov 27, 2023 5:19 pm

I have worked as a graphic designer for many years, creating logotypes, posters, etc. myself. DaVinci Resolve is a great program, especially after you break free from Adobe.

I would describe the two as follows - Adobe Premiere is like an old strangling cart that you try to steer somehow on a rutted road, and Resolve is a spaceship in comparison, where you step into it and intuitively learn to fly it.

My only "BUT" has to do with the Resolve icon, the logotype. It's childish and vague. Proportions, colors, power, everything is vague, does not contain any connection with the meaning, the idea of the program itself. Maybe this design is related to some nostalgic feeling of the otherwise brilliant Grant Petty.

Some modern apps have an "app icon" option under preference. I wish Resolves had a similar option. Some minimalistic, some more playful and of course the current logo could be in the selection.
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-11-27 at 19.16.24.jpg
Screenshot 2023-11-27 at 19.16.24.jpg (47.43 KiB) Viewed 1849 times

Charles Bennett

Re: Davinci Resolve Logotype

PostTue Nov 28, 2023 9:13 am

The logo is a representation of the three additive colors used in the display of video. As DaVinci was originally a color correction and grading only software, it makes sense.
After all, it's only a logo for Resolve and not Blackmagic Design.
You could level the same criticism about Avids' logo for Pro Tools. At the end of the day it's a recognized logo, so does it really matter? I think not.
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 build 20
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (551.86 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

Howard Roll

PostSat Dec 02, 2023 9:54 am

It would make more sense for the clover and ring to align chromatically with the color wheels.

Good Luck

Telepaat

PostMon Dec 11, 2023 12:44 am

Charles Bennett wrote:The logo is a representation of the three additive colors used in the display of video.

Yes indeed, but then the colors of the logo should be RGB not RYB. Well-known logotypes have been changed (sometimes unsuccessfully) due to the cognitive shift with the accompanying product.
I'm really excited about DaVinci Resolve, but in my opinion, it comes with variability, the ability to choose. Therefore, I would also expect a certain flexibility in the first visual detail that the user sees on his desktop.

People's taste preferences are not the same, the ability to set things to your liking is written into preferences, a good example for this is workspaces. Adding some color and stylization options to the logo would be a simple but effective way to win people's hearts.

Return to Off-Topic