Backup Methods

Got something to discuss that's not about Blackmagic products? Then check out the Off-Topic forum!
  • Author

phoenix333

Backup Methods

PostFri Dec 15, 2023 1:01 am

I was planning to backup my entire DaVinci Resolve project library. I was initially planning to backup all the media files in separate zip files with their corresponding project names, so that if I need to restore a project, I can do so from the project library and then add the media folder to it.

I have since learned about project archives and adding the media files to the export of the project archive. It seems like this would eliminate the need to store media files in a separate folder by project. Is this understanding correct, and can I effectively delete the media files if I have attached them to the project archive? Any risks or drawbacks to this method?

Thanks!

Colourberry

Re: Backup Methods

PostTue Dec 19, 2023 2:57 pm

You can add your media to the project archive and delete the separate media folders.

Jim Simon

Re: Backup Methods

PostSun Dec 31, 2023 4:38 pm

Here's the method I use.

1. Copy the entire media card to a backup location. (I use external drives.)
2. Copy the entire media card to my internal Media drive.
3. Edit away. Make backups of Project and Library as I go. (I save these to a Dropbox folder.)
4. When the project has been approved in writing, I just delete the media from the Media drive.

If I ever need to rebuild, I just copy the media over from the backup. (Projects remain in the Library essentially forever.)
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Return to Off-Topic