GH4 4K HDMI RAW

Got something to discuss that's not about Blackmagic products? Then check out the Off-Topic forum!
  • Author

Que Thompson

GH4 4K HDMI RAW

PostSat Oct 04, 2014 2:17 am

Is this even possible? I thought I read that you couldn't get that kind of data through HDMI. Anyway, if it is.. and the image is good... Blackmagic is in a heap of trouble. Being that I have the Pocket and MFT BMCC it will be an easy switch for me. I came from the DSLR world and I'd be happy to go back. I kind of miss the form factor. At that point there was nothing competing with Blackmagic when you talk about image and price, but this could really change things. I used Magic Lantern on my 5D3, but it was too unstable for longer shots, it froze on me on a couple different occasions while with a client... The media was too expensive at the time as well... Anyway, Panasonic may make big waves if this is true.

Shane McGee

Re: GH4 4K HDMI RAW

PostSat Oct 04, 2014 3:40 am

I think that is still yet to be seen if that is ever going to happen...would be a cool option though.

If the BMPCC can record 1080 RAW to an SD card...I'd imagine the GH4 can at least in theory?

Also, there is something to be said about being able to record internally...having to always have some external recorder with HDMI cable, which ALWAYS seem to drop signal at the worst possible time, is kind of scary to me.

You ever tried to use SmallHD DP4 with a DSLR? No matter what HDMI cable you use, it will drop signal at the slightest gust of wind, negative thought or even looking at it wrong...and then you spend 5-10 minutes turning everything off, removing batteries, etc to try to get it all sync back up and get working again...I prefer not recording depending on that kind of connection really...

Also, the "look" of the GH4 is not the same as the Blackmagic look...I DO think the GH4 look is nice, its option for slo-mo are good, etc but its still not going to have quite the cinematic look of the BMCC, et al.

David Corigliano

PostSat Oct 04, 2014 5:56 am

All kinds of things that weren't previously thought possible are becoming so... That being said, I don't see the addition of this feature as a huge threat to BMD cams.

For one because you would need an external recorder, so it would end up as or more expensive than a BMPC. Secondly because that would defeat the small form factor/simple design advantage of it being a DSLR (and leave one in the same situation as with BMD cams needing lots of add-ons, power, and memory). And last because then the only determining factor (all other things being equal) would be dynamic range and color science, where most would agree BMD wins.
David Corigliano

Soeren Mueller

PostSat Oct 04, 2014 8:54 am

Exactly what was already said:

- Not sure if possible yet at all (in theory it very well could, as the RAW bayer data is nothing more than an 10/12 bit greyscale picture, you "just" need a recorder who treats this correctly)
- External recorder necessary (price/portability!)
- Wonky HDMI connection
- Dynamic range not the same
- Probably still inferior color science (characteristics of the sensor)

Return to Off-Topic