Atomos Ninja Inferno and Decimator Problem

Got something to discuss that's not about Blackmagic products? Then check out the Off-Topic forum!
  • Author

Lance Lewis

Atomos Ninja Inferno and Decimator Problem

PostTue May 02, 2017 1:21 am

So I just ordered the new ninja inferno from atoms to go with my jib (the monitor states it is viewable outside). Out of my camera I am running HDMI down the arm to a decimator located at the base. From here I take the HDMI out of the decimator to the monitor and the SDI out to the live switch. Everything connects up fine but after a period of time (one hour to a two hours) the monitor says "no signal". I put my regular crappy 19" TV back on the jib and put the inferno away so I could finish my job. Took it home upgraded the firmware on inferno...same problem the next day. The inferno seems to work correctly with a direct connection to a camera through HDMI but with the decimator inline, something isn't working right. NOTE: it doesn't say "No input" like when you unplug...it says, "no signal"

Decimator performed perfectly when the inferno wasn't being used.

Thoughts? Can anyone else speak to this?
-Lance Lewis
Champion Video
www.ChampionVideoOnline.com
Neenah, WI

Xtreemtec

Re: Atomos Ninja Inferno and Decimator Problem

PostTue May 02, 2017 7:10 pm

And which part is a Blackmagic?? :P

Okee for 1.. Long HDMI on your camera down the boom.. Beem there, done that.. Not good..
Yes it will work fine.. But it will give trouble.. It could even be that some frames are corrupted that it will set off the atomos or decimator in some way that it crashes..

I have the Shogun and my experience is that it heats up a lot after some time of use.. HDMI is a hit and miss all the time on my Shogun.. Like it is very picky on what you put into it..

I guess you have the Decimator MD-HX? or Cross.. Field proven devices that don't run hot. and are not picky at all.. So i don't suspect the problem there..
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Dave Del Vecchio

PostTue May 02, 2017 8:44 pm

I haven't tried this exact configuration (using a Decimator between the camera and Ninja Inferno), but I have had success using an HDMI splitter between camera and Ninja Inferno. Here was the configuration: HDMI out of camera (25 ft cable) to an HDMI splitter (Sewell SplitDeck 4K). HDMI out from splitter into Ninja Inferno, second HDMI out from splitter into HDMI to SDI converter (with long cable run back to switcher).

With this configuration I was able to run 12 hours straight without any problems with the Ninja Inferno. Video format was 2160p60. Note that this was indoors, and the Ninja Inferno was just being used as a monitor (was not recording), both of which may have reduced the likelihood of the Ninja Inferno overheating.

jacmer

PostWed Apr 14, 2021 12:50 pm

We are coming out out of our 4 Sony Fs7s 4K via HDMI into four Decimator Cross units - then out SDI to the Atomos Shogun.
When we go straight into the Shogun, we get error messages on all Shogun channels. When we run the SDI into our BM switcher and go out from there to the Shoguns- no issues at all.

Evidently, the Decimator Cross has some issue in the conversion and SDI output that the shogun doesn't like, but the BM standards converter is doing something to clear the issue.

Her-rumph!

Xtreemtec

PostWed Apr 14, 2021 1:12 pm

Probably you have the decimators in Level A which is not supported by the Shogun.

BMD hardware normally sends out SDI level B
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Return to Off-Topic