this forum layout stinks

Got something to discuss that's not about Blackmagic products? Then check out the Off-Topic forum!
  • Author

bobzelin

this forum layout stinks

PostSat May 25, 2013 11:15 pm

I have complained about this in the past, and have seen other threads referenced to my complaints.
It is VERY difficult to find subjects about a particular Blackmagic Product with the way this forum is layed out (Post Production, Production, Mac OS-X, etc.).

I have been told that "something is coming", but nothing ever came. Can you imagine if the Blackmagic website ever mushed all their products into "post production" and "production" - the Blackmagic website, like every website in the world, seperates out their products, so you can research them, and their specs, and the same goes for their support page. It's properly done. BUT NOT THIS FORUM. It's like Blackmagic wants to make it impossible for people to find a collective area to read up on (or complain about) a specific product.

Doing this (having a separate forum heading for ATEM, Mini Converters, Studio Converter, Videohub, etc.) would not only help the users on this forum, but it would REDUCE the need for Blackmagic phone support, as people could find answers to questions very easily by simply glancing at a few posts about their specific product.

Just my 2 cents.

Bob Zelin
bobzelin@icloud.com

Baz

Re: this forum layout stinks

PostSun May 26, 2013 12:56 am

...ESPECIALLY the 'post production' forum - I refer to it as the 'resolve' forum with the occasional mention of a Teranex or Hyperdeck.

But I reserve my opinion on it being 'smelly'.

Baz

MISC
U/S Express, SmartviewDuo, SmartScopeDuo, Teranex 2D, Web Pres, 5/7 Vid Assists
VIDEOHUB
Smart 12x12
12x24
72x144
HYPERDECK
Studio, Shuttle, Studio Mini
ATEM
2me4K, 2me, TVS, TVS HD, CamConvs, StudioConvs, Studio Cams, Micro Studio Cam

Mike Squires

PostSun May 26, 2013 8:28 pm

I don't know, from a broadcasters' view, the forums names make sense.

bobzelin

PostMon May 27, 2013 2:21 pm

Hi Mike Squires -
from a "broadcasters view" - broadcasters use ALL kinds of products - everything from routers, to switchers, to audio equipment, to monitors, to multiviewers, etc, etc, etc. (just like Blackmagic makes).
And when you go to a "broadcasters" website - like Grass Valley, Harris, Evertz, Miranda - and YES, even Blackmagic - every product line is separated out by category, so you can easily find routers (for example) and don't have to wade thru all the other products, to get product information. People (like us in the broadcast industry) like organization - not chaos. And the comment about the Post Production forum being 99% Davinci Resolve is correct ! It should have it's own heading, so when you want to find out how to configure your NVidia Card with Resolve, you are not wading thru Decklink questions.

Bob Zelin
bobzelin@icloud.com

Smash Ashby

PostSat Jul 06, 2013 8:46 am

Completely agree.

The layout makes it really difficult to find/troubleshoot info on a specific product.

We work in both the "Live" and "Post Production" areas and we use many of the same products for both.

Where do you look when you have an issue with a Videohub? Live or Post?
How about a Smart View?
Smash Ashby
Managing Director
South Post

Joshua Helling

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Jul 23, 2013 10:42 pm

There have been discussions on how to better improve the flow of the forums. But no final decision has been made.

We do want to do something, but we want to make sure we do it right. So bear with us, we'll get it sorted.

Not making excuses, just clarifying that we do indeed hear you and want to make improvements.
Joshua Helling

Director of World Wide Support
Blackmagic Design Inc.

evilb66

PostWed Jul 24, 2013 10:15 pm

I am interested in buying a ps4k.
when I type in "+production+studio" into search it says 'sorry those words are too common'.
I mean seriously, BMD, you run a forum where users cAn't even search for you products.
the first part of my real name is Mr B. if that's not enough for bmd, please cancel my registration to this site. then i will re-register with a new email and fake name anyway.

Christine Peterson

PostWed Jul 31, 2013 9:17 pm

evilb66 wrote:I am interested in buying a ps4k.
when I type in "+production+studio" into search it says 'sorry those words are too common'.
I mean seriously, BMD, you run a forum where users cAn't even search for you products.

Not sure why it says they're too common... that's weird. But if you use spaces instead of plus signs, the search works just fine.
Christine Peterson

(Previously Community Relations Manager for Blackmagic Design)

Return to Off-Topic