Moza iFocus - Anyone Else Have This Issue?

Got something to discuss that's not about Blackmagic products? Then check out the Off-Topic forum!
  • Author

MontgomerySutton

Moza iFocus - Anyone Else Have This Issue?

PostMon Feb 18, 2019 10:10 pm

Got the Moza Air 2 and an offset plate to work with my Pocket 4K and was starting to get some pretty good test results with the Pocket 4K on there (much better than what I got with the C100mkII on the gimbal) -- but all of a sudden the iFocus motor has totally frozen. The LED is a solid green light (which in the manual doesn't seem to be any correct mode), and it won't respond to the power button or the Moza Air 2 when connected to the Multi-CAN port.

Their support is as bad as everyone says, can't get a response on any channel. Has anyone else here had this issue with the iFocus? Any idea on how to do a hard reset? Was hoping to use this setup on a shoot tomorrow - so much for that!

Thanks for any help anyone can give or point me towards!
Montgomery Sutton
Producer, Cinematographer
montgomery@lupoblu.com

lupo blu, LLC (www.lupoblu.com)
Salt Pillar Productions (www.saltpillarproductions.com)

URSA Mini 4.6K | Red Scarlet Dragon | Canon C100 mkII | BMPCC (x2)

MontgomerySutton

Re: Moza iFocus - Anyone Else Have This Issue?

PostSat Feb 23, 2019 4:37 pm

If anyone else ends up having this problem, it's an error of a failed firmware upgrade. Let the iFocus run out of power, then recharge and connect to the Moza while turned off. Connect Moza to a computer in upgrade mode with the Moza Master app open, then long press the iFocus power until the white light comes on to enter upgrade mode. Update the firmware and turn off both iFocus and Moza Air 2 and -- for me at least -- the iFocus will work again!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Montgomery Sutton
montgomery@lupoblu.com

JulesKlein

PostMon Mar 04, 2019 5:13 am

Thanks for posting this info. I'm having the same issue. I tried to upgrade the iFocus firmware via the Moza iOS app, but it's causing the same crash each time. And for whatever reason my Mac/Moza_Master app isn't recognizing the Air 2.

Has your iFocus continued to work after the steps you described? I'm tearing my hair out here. Currently won't power down (again)-- it's just frozen on a green light.

Thanks,
Jules

MontgomerySutton

PostTue Mar 05, 2019 4:00 am

Hi Jules,

No, it's been working fine since I did the firmware install. Moza Master can't find the gimbal even when it's turned on normally, or only in firmware update mode?

Yeah, the battery on the iFocus is a beast. Great for shooting - not so great for failed firmware update freezes. Did you reach out to Gudsen? They did reply after a few days, I had just already figured it out by the time they got in touch so maybe they can help you too -- but of course I'm happy to help as well if I can!
Montgomery Sutton
montgomery@lupoblu.com

Arild Danielsen

PostTue Mar 05, 2019 1:44 pm

MontgomerySutton wrote:If anyone else ends up having this problem, it's an error of a failed firmware upgrade. Let the iFocus run out of power, then recharge and connect to the Moza while turned off. Connect Moza to a computer in upgrade mode with the Moza Master app open, then long press the iFocus power until the white light comes on to enter upgrade mode. Update the firmware and turn off both iFocus and Moza Air 2 and -- for me at least -- the iFocus will work again!

I have been mind boggling all day over this issue. Will try this as soon as it's out of power. Thank you.

UPDATE: I can confirm this solved the issue for me too.
Last edited by Arild Danielsen on Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
danielsenphoto.com

Arild Danielsen

PostTue Mar 05, 2019 1:54 pm

JulesKlein wrote:And for whatever reason my Mac/Moza_Master app isn't recognizing the Air 2.

I noticed the app does not recognise the Air2 when using a USB-C to USB-C cable, but it did find the device when I used the USB-C to USB (A-Male) cable which shipped with the Air2 (through an adapter as I'm using mac with USB-C only). Furthermore, I installed the driver that was in the download archive before launching the software.
danielsenphoto.com

JulesKlein

PostTue Mar 05, 2019 2:41 pm

Arild--

I had the same issue WRT Moza_Master on Mojave. I uninstalled/re-downloaded/re-installed the driver and then the app recognized the Air 2. This time the iFocus updated firmware successfully.

I think there might have been an issue when updating firmware via the iOS app (which I tried multiple times).

Everything is working now after re-installing the driver on Mac OS and performing the firmware upgrade that way.

- Jules

Arild Danielsen

PostWed Mar 06, 2019 7:03 am

JulesKlein wrote:I had the same issue WRT Moza_Master on Mojave. I uninstalled/re-downloaded/re-installed the driver and then the app recognized the Air 2. This time the iFocus updated firmware successfully.

With a USB-C to USB-C cable?
danielsenphoto.com

JulesKlein

PostWed Mar 06, 2019 1:34 pm

I used usb-c to usb-A and put it into a hub that is USB 2.0. I read someplace that the Moss doesn’t do well via usb 3.

singularity74

PostSat Apr 20, 2019 2:39 pm

Thankfully this thread exists or I would have just returned my ifocus unit. Anyway, I'm still having problems. It's currently stuck on green again, after letting it run out of battery and recharging it. Is it because I tried to power it up normally? Is there something I'm missing?

MontgomerySutton

PostTue Apr 23, 2019 1:47 pm

Yes, that's right. You can't just power it up normally, you'll need to re-install the newest firmware. So let it die, connect it to the Moza, connect the Moza to your computer (won't work with the mobile app) and then hold the iFocus power button until the LED turns white (for pair mode). Let us know if this works for you!
Montgomery Sutton
montgomery@lupoblu.com

singularity74

PostTue Apr 23, 2019 9:49 pm

Yep, worked perfectly. Thank you again for your help.

tcjohns

PostWed May 15, 2019 1:37 am

I would really like to update the driver now and would not like to wait until it dies, so I wanted to confirm that there was a way to do this? It appears most here have waited until the iFocus has died before trying to update the driver.

If I have to wait until the iFocus does die, I just want to confirm that I am updating it correctly for later.

Are these steps correct?
-iFocus dies
-Connect iFocus via USB-C to micro usb Moza Air 2
-Connect Moza air 2 to Windows (preferably)
-Turn on Moza air 2 into boot mode
-Turn on iFocus until it turns white
-Update firmware?

Thanks in advance

JeremyClancy

PostMon Jul 22, 2019 10:46 pm

I have the same issue with the ifocus and the frozen green light. Only trouble is the MOZA master desktop app on my iMac is not recognising the air 2 at all so I have no way of reinstalling the firmware.

I have reinstalled the software and silicon labs VCP driver 4 or 5 times, and have also tried a number of USB C cables, but nothing seems to work.

Needless to say the Gudsen customer service is not happening.

Can anyone advise me??
Attachments
Screenshot 2019-07-22 at 23.41.33.png
Screenshot 2019-07-22 at 23.41.33.png (1013.79 KiB) Viewed 28040 times

Glmlmb

PostTue Jul 30, 2019 8:42 am

Hello everyone.

I have the same issue with my iFocus, I bricked it to solid green light.
At least I am glad you provided a solution.

I have a two questions:
- How long before the battery dies?
- Can I pair my iFocus Motor with my iPhone and control focus over iPhone App?

Thank you very much!!

Arild Danielsen

PostTue Jul 30, 2019 9:32 am

JeremyClancy wrote:tried a number of USB C cables

Did you use USB-C to USB-A? That's the only cable that worked for me to recognise the device (running through an adapter to the MacBookPro which only has USB-C). A direct USB-C to USB-C did not work for me.

JulesKlein wrote:I used usb-c to usb-A and put it into a hub that is USB 2.0. I read someplace that the Moss doesn’t do well via usb 3.

https://www.belkin.com/us/p/P-F2CU029/
Attachments
Screenshot 2019-07-30 at 12.28.12.jpg
USB-C to USB-A cable
Screenshot 2019-07-30 at 12.28.12.jpg (37.79 KiB) Viewed 27848 times
Last edited by Arild Danielsen on Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
danielsenphoto.com

Arild Danielsen

PostTue Jul 30, 2019 9:44 am

tcjohns wrote:-Connect iFocus via USB-C to micro usb Moza Air 2

That step is wrong. Use the normal connection via Multi-CAN. The USB-C port on the iFocus is only for charging, I believe.

https://store.gudsen.com/products/multi-can-cable
Attachments
Screenshot 2019-07-30 at 12.43.41.jpg
Multi-CAN Moza Air 2
Screenshot 2019-07-30 at 12.43.41.jpg (63.25 KiB) Viewed 27847 times
danielsenphoto.com

Chris Chiasson

PostSat Oct 19, 2019 1:01 am

I have a similar issue but it’s with the iFocus M. Solid blue light, and no focus icon on the moza.

Seasick

PostTue Dec 03, 2019 8:44 am

Hello everybody. I have a slightly different problem. My iFocus motor works all right with the gimbal (latest versions of software and firmware) but the remote doesn't pair. It never did. The motor LED is solid blue even when I am not charging the unit. That LED never stays green, it jumps immediately to solid blue.

Any suggestions short of returning the unit and looking at a different brand?

Thank you.

Grey-Carter

PostSun Dec 15, 2019 2:40 pm

Sorry if I'm necroing this post but it's the only place i've seen any relevant information regarding problems with the Moza iFocus .. I recently bought the motor and hand unit but not to use with the moza gimbal but have had a few issues with calibration and response between the units. I thought it might be a firmware issue and after ages digging around on the internet I found the relevant software and info needed to update it. It's now updated to firmware 2.0.0 but it's actually made it worse, there are less calibration options, none for remote calibration, and even though they pair fine there is no response from the motor when the handwheel is turned. Does anyone know how I can reset the firmware to 1.0.0. or better still resolve the calibration issues. (The new firmware doesn't even allow the buttons to be used to set A and B points or recording anymore, it's all done through menus, which still don't work) I have e-mailed Gudsen but I'm not holding out much hope for any sort of help from them from what i've read about their poor customer service. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

corey adams

PostTue Mar 17, 2020 4:15 am

Grey-Carter wrote:Sorry if I'm necroing this post but it's the only place i've seen any relevant information regarding problems with the Moza iFocus .. I recently bought the motor and hand unit but not to use with the moza gimbal but have had a few issues with calibration and response between the units. I thought it might be a firmware issue and after ages digging around on the internet I found the relevant software and info needed to update it. It's now updated to firmware 2.0.0 but it's actually made it worse, there are less calibration options, none for remote calibration, and even though they pair fine there is no response from the motor when the handwheel is turned. Does anyone know how I can reset the firmware to 1.0.0. or better still resolve the calibration issues. (The new firmware doesn't even allow the buttons to be used to set A and B points or recording anymore, it's all done through menus, which still don't work) I have e-mailed Gudsen but I'm not holding out much hope for any sort of help from them from what i've read about their poor customer service. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Did you ever find a way to downgrade to the old firmware?

I just updated to V2 and now mine has a blinking blue light on the ifocus and wont pair with the hand module.

cant find anything online anywhere.

cheers!

Grey-Carter

PostTue Mar 17, 2020 5:26 am

Hi Corey, no unfortunately I've not been able to revert the firmware but luckily for me mine does still pair and can be used, although I haven't been able to figure out the recording part and it does need the A and B stops to be reset every time the unit is switched on, personally I just wish I had bought the nano instead which seems to have a lot more support.

Emilian Dechev

PostThu Jun 04, 2020 7:25 pm

My units cannot remember pairing.

If I turn off either unit, the pairing is lost and need to pair again. Is that normal? :?

zjdoliver

PostTue Aug 11, 2020 3:49 pm

Hi, I believe i have everything working yet I can't control the iFocus via the wheel. I have made the updates several times as well.

Question, when you do the update via the computer using the Moza Master App, does it actually say that the iFocus was updated? mine never mentions iFocus, it only spits out Air 2.

also, when connected the iFocus light is solid blue and I made sure the F1 is on as well.

I have seen various versions of steps in previous posts but it seems odd that you would let the iFocus completely die and not recharge it prior to firmware update, is that correct?

Thanks

SarahB74

PostSun Dec 13, 2020 4:17 pm

Hi everyone, I know the original post and the last answer are old and my issue is also not related to the original post but this is the only forum about the Moza iFocus that I could find!
I have an issue that prevent me for using the Moza iFocus is that the hand unit and the focus motor disconnect all the time while I'm using them :( :( It doesn't matter the distance between the two elements and the frequency of which I use the hand unit, they disconnect randomly after a couple of minutes (more or less). I need to pair them again, again and again. They are new, I just bought them and they are both fully charged when I use them.
Has someone already had this kind of issue? Do you have any idea of where it may come from and how to fix it?
Thank you very much! :)

alemachado

PostSat Aug 05, 2023 10:03 pm

MontgomerySutton wrote:If anyone else ends up having this problem, it's an error of a failed firmware upgrade. Let the iFocus run out of power, then recharge and connect to the Moza while turned off. Connect Moza to a computer in upgrade mode with the Moza Master app open, then long press the iFocus power until the white light comes on to enter upgrade mode. Update the firmware and turn off both iFocus and Moza Air 2 and -- for me at least -- the iFocus will work again!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I followed this step by step and it solved my problem. After two days of trying, I found this forum and managed to solve it with this method..

Return to Off-Topic