EDL2Chap: Convert Resolve timeline markers to mp4chap

Got something to discuss that's not about Blackmagic products? Then check out the Off-Topic forum!
  • Author

DanielB

EDL2Chap: Convert Resolve timeline markers to mp4chap

PostSat May 25, 2019 4:33 am

Not sure if this is of use to anyone, but since I found a couple question around the internet looking for a solution to this without anyone having a good one, I thought I'd share it here.

Context: we are producing a podcast that we deliver in both a video format as well as in an audio only format. We use DaVinci Resolve for editing and final production of both. Up until this point I've always used timeline markers to indicate where new chapters in the podcast begin and then manually noted down the timestamps and labels for each of them once the episode production was done.

This is a laborious and error prone process, but I wasn't sure how else to do it.

Now I discovered that I can export timeline markers from Resolve in the EDL format. However, my podcast publishing solution does not accept the EDL format, but instead expects a mp4chap style file.
So I took on me to write a small converter that takes EDL format Resolve timeline markers and converts them into mp4chap style chapter markers.

You can find the tool with a little how-to guide on our website. Since I cannot post a URL to the Website directly in this post, I've set my profile URL to point at the tool. Simply click the little circular icon beneath my name on the left to get there.

Hope this is of use to anyone.

Return to Off-Topic