Using Mac Pro Rack (2019) PCIe ports for DeckLink Cards

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

LoganBeacon

Using Mac Pro Rack (2019) PCIe ports for DeckLink Cards

PostTue Apr 18, 2023 6:02 pm

Hello! I recently got the Mac Pro Rack (2019) and saw that it had many built-in PCIe ports. I also noticed that my current cards (DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G and DeckLink Duo 2) are currently installed in similar ports in a separate expansion (because my previous Mac didn't have its own PCIe ports). I was wondering if I could install these two cards directly into the Mac Pro PCIe slots, and what else I might need to do and to know in order to accomplish that... the current expansion had its own power input (and some other features that I'm not entirely sure about, to be honest), and I've never installed PCIe cards before, so I'm SUPER nervous about doing it... so any general tips would also be appreciated :) Thank you!!

Eric-Jan

Re: Using Mac Pro Rack (2019) PCIe ports for DeckLink Cards

PostThu Apr 27, 2023 10:23 am

You should check-out which version of Mac OS you can run on this Pro Rack, 32/64 bit ?
the recent software for the decklink cards should be able to run on that version OS,
Which Mac OS you're able to run, depends on the Mac Pro Rack hardware and amount of RAM i guess.
Intensity Shuttle, ATEM Mini, Video Assist 5"(mini USB), Hyperdeck ShuttleHD,Analog to SDI mini-converter, software: Davinci Resolve 15 on Sierra, Resolve 18 on Catalina. (Using Apple OS 32 & 64 bit on different MacBook Pro's

LoganBeacon

PostThu Apr 27, 2023 6:44 pm

Thanks for your reply! I know that the cards are compatible with the Mac- it's just that right now I have them installed in a separate enclosure, and I'd like to know if I could install them directly into the PCI ports of the Mac itself.

Eric-Jan

PostSat Apr 29, 2023 11:35 am

My guess would be yes, because the system like chipset hardware and operating software stay the same.
don't know if you can have any "lane" conflict….
but if it works by a "detour" of a Pro Rack in between it should work also in a normal way.
Intensity Shuttle, ATEM Mini, Video Assist 5"(mini USB), Hyperdeck ShuttleHD,Analog to SDI mini-converter, software: Davinci Resolve 15 on Sierra, Resolve 18 on Catalina. (Using Apple OS 32 & 64 bit on different MacBook Pro's

LoganBeacon

PostMon May 01, 2023 4:34 pm

Great, thank you! Lane conflict would just be if I had other cards that didn't allow it to fit, correct? Also, the external enclosure I use has its own power- but any necessary power would be supplied by the computer itself if I installed them directly, right?

Eric-Jan

PostMon May 01, 2023 5:21 pm

It should "fit" ofcourse, what i mean is, more... the path's of usage on the motherboard to other cards,
If you are sure the PCI slots are compatible, you should try, and if there's a conflict, (cards not "seen")you should swap cards from slots.
A user more known to Apple hardware, can help you further in detail
You should at least remove all powercords from the mains, when doing anything inside computer hardware.

LoganBeacon

PostTue Dec 05, 2023 7:03 pm

Hello! I wanted to circle back on this... I was able to install the Decklink Duo 2 in the PCIe slots on my mac, but the Decklink 4k extreme 12g card seems to require a separate power supply (it doesn't output content without the power supply attached). The provided external power cable does not fit in the slots of the Mac in any orientation. Is there a different cable that I can use that has the Mac Pro Rack (2019) power output on one end and the input for the Decklink 4k extreme 12g on the other end? Thank you! Images of power input and output attached.
Attachments
IMG_0059.jpg
Mac Pro Rack (2019) power output
IMG_0059.jpg (535.58 KiB) Viewed 849 times
IMG_0060.jpg
Decklink 4k extreme 12g power input
IMG_0060.jpg (738.93 KiB) Viewed 849 times

LoganBeacon

PostTue Dec 05, 2023 8:07 pm

I just want to follow up on the solution I found because I see that a lot of people have viewed these posts. There is a power supply within the Mac Pro 2019 that's compatible with the supplied external power cable of the DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G, but it isn't as obvious as the one in the same area as the PCIe Lock/Unlock... Directly across from the PCIe lane labeled 4 is a rectangle with a caution symbol. Within that rectangle are two PCIe power supplies; the one nearer to the PCIe slots is compatible with the power cable that comes with the DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G. Once I attached the power supply to this connector, the card worked, (whereas when I attached it to the more obvious connector in the same area as the PCIe Lock/Unlock, it didn't work and was potentially damaging to the card and/or computer because it produced a strange smell).

I attached an image from Apple's website for reference. Hope this helps, God bless.
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-12-05 at 3.03.29 PM.jpg
Power supply within Mac Pro for DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Screenshot 2023-12-05 at 3.03.29 PM.jpg (254.3 KiB) Viewed 826 times

Return to Getting Started