Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0 for Retro Game Capture

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

jeffbrl

Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0 for Retro Game Capture

PostThu May 16, 2024 5:05 pm

I want to use the shuttle to capture 240p content from 80s/90s game consoles on a Windows 10 PC. My understanding is that the shuttle does not support 240p capture. I figured I would use an upscaler to convert 240p to 480p or 1080p and then capture it via the shuttle's HDMI input. I have various scalers including OSSC, TV One C2-750 and several GBS Control units.

I am unable to get Blackmagic Express to display a video signal with the GBS Control or OSSC. I am choosing 480p or 1080p. While I haven't experimented with the C2-750, I've tested extensively with the GBS Control and OSSC. To check the sanity of my setup, I tested using a DVD player outputing to either the HDMI or component ports of the shuttle. Both of these worked. The shuttle seems very particular about what video signals it receives.

May I please get guidance on how I can achieve my objective?

Andre Augustin

Re: Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0 for Retro Game Capture

PostTue May 21, 2024 6:29 pm

In the Black Magic Media Express Program are you clicking on the "Log and Capture" and not leaving it on "PlayBack"? I ask this because this is a common mistake that happens quite a lot. I have usesd and OSSC as well as a Framemiester and have been able to capture retro consoles using my BMD Capture products. Try using OBS and using the BlackMagic Capture plugin with in OBS.
Andre Augustin
Bifuteki

jeffbrl

PostTue May 21, 2024 7:23 pm

Andre, thank you for the suggestion. I have experimented with both OBS Studio and Media Express. Within Media Express, I am selecting "Log and Capture". That's interesting that you have no problems with the OSSC. I was thinking that the OSSC must output RGB color instead of YUV. I've read in other posts that the Black Magic cannot capture RGB color. Do you know what color format is in use in the OSSC output?

carlomacchiavello

PostTue Jun 04, 2024 6:13 am

Try to find some old Lg dvd recorder like rh188sh
Used cost in between 20-40$, it was born to read analog signal and it have a good internal upscaler and an hdmi out.
With it I saved tons of old vhs tape and many other analog sources without pro device.

Ps it can also recorder, but you can use it directly like realtime signal converter only

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

jeffbrl

PostTue Jun 04, 2024 7:39 pm

Carlo M,

Thank you for the suggestion. What you describe with regard to the LG DVD recorder is interesting. I may investigate its use at some point. Between the two scalers I have currently (OSSC and GBS Control), one would hope that one of them would output a high def video signal in a format the Blackmagic would accept. Now if only I knew what the BlackMagic expects on its HDMI input...

carlomacchiavello wrote:Try to find some old Lg dvd recorder like rh188sh
Used cost in between 20-40$, it was born to read analog signal and it have a good internal upscaler and an hdmi out.
With it I saved tons of old vhs tape and many other analog sources without pro device.

Ps it can also recorder, but you can use it directly like realtime signal converter only

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Return to Getting Started