Dead pixels on 3 New Video Assists

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Mapas Depique

Dead pixels on 3 New Video Assists

PostFri Mar 24, 2017 9:04 am

Hi,

I recently bought a Video Assist in a agreed French retailer " Photocineshop ".
Right out of the box, I got few dead pixels on the unit so I decided to return it to the shop and ask for an exchange. They did it buy giving me a new one and same surprise after opening the box : dead pixels on this new unit too... So I decided to return it again to the shop and get a new one with a different series number, freshly arrived from Blackmagic factory and DAMN, this third unit got a lot of dead pixels too...
( I did all the test without plugin camera's to the screen, just looking at the screen after start it, so no problems with dead pixels on my sensor, they are on the screens )

3 units and 3 times dead pixels on the screen ?! Whats the point with the quality of the Video Assists screens ?

I decided to ask my money back because I already loose enough time, and for a screen that cost 100e per Inch, this is a shame.

If anyone from bm team can explain me whats happened. You guys will see coming back in warranty, this 3 faulty screens soon.

Best regards
Last edited by Mapas Depique on Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Xtreemtec

Re: Dead pixels on 3 New Video Assists

PostFri Mar 24, 2017 2:50 pm

Hmm weird.. Having 2 VA for a year now and no dead pixel yet.. :)

Have you taken photos? Please share..
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Mapas Depique

PostFri Mar 24, 2017 4:10 pm

Hi,
No I didn't take pictures because we were able to see them right after starting the screen with the guys from the shop, but I agree that its weird.
I am a Blackmagic customer since longtime now and I was surprised by this episode because I never had issues with my blackmagic's products. Anyways I got my money back and i'm back on the market to find a descent 5,6" sdi screen not too expensive.

Cheers

Ulysses Paiva

PostFri Mar 24, 2017 7:51 pm

Mine has some too. My VA arrived like 3 weeks ago. Since then I've been thinking about living with it or go through all the hassle to fix it.
Ulysses Paiva

Xtreemtec

PostSat Mar 25, 2017 8:51 am

So it seems that there is a batch with bad screens Out there.. :roll:
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Denny Smith

PostSun Mar 26, 2017 5:06 pm

You,can RMA the bad screen VAs to BM Support,and they will fix the, with Good panels, no hunt and miss required! :mrgreen:
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Daniel Tufvesson

PostWed Mar 29, 2017 2:36 pm

Something similar happened to me actually. Three Video Assist 5" from the same store all had several bright hot pixels. I bought one anyway since I really needed it and contacted BMD support a few weeks later and they were super helpful. They replaced the display within a week including shipment. Must have been a bad batch.
Shoot - BMCC | BMPCC | BMPCC4K | BMVA | GH5
Edit - Resolve Studio 18.1 | Debian Linux 12 | i7-3930K CPU | X79 MB | 32GB RAM | GTX1080 GPU | Speed Editor
Monitor - Decklink SDI, SDI Duo, SDI 4K, Intensity Pro
danieltufvesson.com/makeresolvedeb

Ulysses Paiva

PostFri Mar 31, 2017 2:47 pm

I thinking I'm keeping mine the way it is. I can see about 3 dead pixels but only if I look for it and mainly when the screen is totally black. In the real world use, it doesnt affect nothing in terms of seeing. Unless there are some other issues I'm not aware, like the screen has less lifespan or are more prone to error and stuff like that.
Ulysses Paiva

Mapas Depique

PostFri Mar 31, 2017 4:56 pm

Thanks for your feedback guys,

I wanted to know if It was a lonely case or if something similar happened to others.
It seem's that some series need a fix but thats true, its usable most of the time.
It could only affect a future sale or if the problem become bigger.

Best regards.

Denny Smith

PostFri Mar 31, 2017 6:32 pm

If resale or if the dead pixels really bug you, get the VAs fixed while they are still under warranty, and I would just get BM to fix them. My original 5-inch VA had a minor display issue (a dark spot), and I sent it to BM to fix, got it back within one week. Great, quick service.

The only cost is shipping to your nearest Support Center. But, I agree, minor dead pixels that are not really visible in normal use, are not an issue to worry about.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Mapas Depique

PostSat Apr 01, 2017 1:08 pm

Thanks Denny,

I have no doubt about the Support quality of Blackmagic Team so i will consider the solution of rebuying a unit from my reseller, and if the screen got probs again, then i will use it and send it in warranty after making it profitable. ;)

Cheers

Return to Getting Started