Teranex Audio to SDI - Can you embed audio w/o video

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

BryceKastor

Teranex Audio to SDI - Can you embed audio w/o video

PostThu May 13, 2021 1:27 pm

Hello Everyone

We purchased a Teranex Mini Audio to SDI 12G strictly for the purpose of embedding audio into a SDI feed without necessarily carrying a video signal.

When we setup this test case we are having an issue with the Teranex pass the audio.

Does anyone know if we are missing a simple setting that allows this functionality? Or does the converter require a video signal as well?

The Teranex has been updated to the most recent firmware.

Thank you!

Xtreemtec

Re: Teranex Audio to SDI - Can you embed audio w/o video

PostThu May 13, 2021 3:51 pm

Offcoarse it needs a video source!! It doesn't generate any on it's own. It just replaces the audio packets in the incoming video stream and push it out again... ;)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

BryceKastor

PostMon May 17, 2021 1:33 pm

Thank you for the reply Xtreemtec.

I am more of an audio person who's been learning video streaming for the Great Pivot.
We were hoping we could just use the Terenex to inject an audio stream by itself into a SDI feed (there would be no video) to bring back that audio to the control room.

I am guessing from your answer and a little bit of work that an SDI signal requires a video feed, I believe for clocking purposes, and that you cannot just carry an audio signal by itself.

Thank you for your help.

Howard Roll

PostTue May 18, 2021 6:41 pm

BryceKastor wrote:We were hoping we could just use the Terenex to inject an audio stream by itself into a SDI feed (there would be no video) to bring back that audio to the control room

I don't get it. What's in the control room that's expecting audio (only) over SDI?

If you can't find a suitable SDI signal in the studio to attach the audio then Lynx Technik makes a box that will attach audio to a generated black signal. https://lynx-usa.com/product/pdm-1383/

I'm not much of an audio guy but my friends in the business use Madi when they want to send audio over coax.

Good Luck

Return to Getting Started