Big Sur and UltraStudio/DeckLink devices

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Pahlevan

Re: Big Sur and UltraStudio/DeckLink devices

PostTue Jul 13, 2021 3:13 pm

adamroberts wrote:
Pahlevan wrote:After you install the Desktop Video, do not restart the computer till it ask you for permission of privacy for some apps.

Then go to Privacy > Firewall Options ( should unlock to activate) > +
and add Desktop video setup.app.

That's it.

Nope. That ain't working either.

I've not uninstalled Desktop Video with the included uninstall app. I've then removed the BlackmagicIO.kext and DeckLink_Driver.kext via the Terminal.

I then reinstalled 12.1. It never alerted me to any extension changes nor did it ask me to enable any permissions. I then opened the System Pref / Security & Privacy and there were no permissions waiting to be enabled. Checked to see it if Desktop Video Setup had Files and Folder access and it's listed as having access.

Launch the Desktop Video Setup and it sees my UltraStudio Mini Monitor (which is connected via an Apple Thunderbolt 2 to Thunderbolt 3 adaptor). All settings are accessible.

Reboot and Desktop Video Setup no longer sees my UltraStudio Mini Monitor.

I then tried installing 11.7. This time I was alerted that System Extensions had changed and I need to give them permission. Opened System Prefs and gave permission to Blackmagic Inc.

Reboot and Desktop Video Setup no longer sees my UltraStudio Mini Monitor. Sigh

So I then tried installing 12.1. This time I was alerted that System Extensions had changed and I need to give them permission. Opened System Prefs and gave permission to Blackmagic Inc.

Reboot and Desktop Video Setup no longer sees my UltraStudio Mini Monitor. Sigh

So I still have no access to the UltraStudio Mini Monitor.

Please consider that you should add permission in the Firewall setting! by adding exception for Desktop Video Setup.

adamroberts

PostTue Jul 13, 2021 3:26 pm

Pahlevan wrote:Please consider that you should add permission in the Firewall setting! by adding exception for Desktop Video Setup.

You can't add permissions for apps un Firewall.
Screenshot 2021-07-13 at 16.25.27.png
Screenshot 2021-07-13 at 16.25.27.png (112.73 KiB) Viewed 5751 times

bbrighton

PostWed Jul 14, 2021 2:21 pm

Adam, have you looked at the process I posted recently? There seems to be two related problems overall.

1) Getting the kexts authorized (a UI dance that is overly complicated and seemingly timing-dependent)
2) Convincing the system that that's the case to they can load (a system dance that appears to be unexpectedly fragile)

I think the attempt to manually load the kext (in the interim) may either get you working or give a more concrete path to doing so.

sdonohue1994

PostSun Aug 01, 2021 2:08 pm

semaj4712 wrote:I had this issue and talked with customer support today. Give this a try. Open Terminal and type the following command

WARNING Only do this if you actually know what you are doing, and I am not responsible if this does not work for you. Also please note that I am using Desktop Video 12.1 and this may or may not work in other releases.

Code: Select all
sudo kextutil /library/extensions/blackmagicio.kext

It will prompt you for your password

Afterwards your devices will show up in Desktop Video and other applications (Except quicktime which is strange)

Customer Service did say a fix for this would be coming in Desktop Video 12.2

This worked perfectly! Thank you! :D

Pkodyssey

UltraStudio 3G Recorder and BigSur

PostWed Aug 04, 2021 11:52 pm

Had an iMac upgrade to BigSur now my UltraStudio 3G Recorder isn’t recognized by the Blackmagic Desktop v12.1

I have tried a number of the fixes mentioned here and on YouTube without luck.

Any ideas to get me back up and running. I am feeding my camera via HDMI to the UltraStudio 3G Recorder then via Thunderbolt 3 to my iMac.

If this is not supported than what thunderbolt device will work in a similar way without breaking the bank.

Uli Plank

PostThu Aug 05, 2021 3:36 pm

It should work. Did you enable kernel extensions? I had to do this and and now my Monitor 3G works.
I don't see why it's not the same with the recorder.
Don't approach Resolve with your expectations from other NLEs! They are all different.
Resolve Studio 17.2.2 and Fusion Studio 17.2.1, macOS 11.5
iMac 2017 Radeon Pro 580 8 GB VRAM, 32 GB, eGFX Breakway RX 580
Mac mini M1, 16 GB RAM

kylekramb

PostSat Aug 07, 2021 7:49 pm

Ok, lots of hair pulling here as well. I have the Ultrastudio 4k Thunderbolt 2. Running it on an 2017 iMac Pro with only T3 inputs. I tried a number of things but what finally (seems to) work is:

1) Uninstall all old versions and preferences
2) install Desktop Video v 11.7
3) use the terminal command quoted above "sudo kextutil /library/extensions/blackmagicio.kext"

Originally I did this with Desktop Video 12.1 and I had to run the Terminal command after every restart.

Several reboots and it all still seems to be working.

I think this issue is mainly someing to do with Big Sur as I had a similar problem on a different machine using an Aja IO, although AJA was a bit more helpful in resolving.

zaneellis wrote:Hey Everyone,

I have been reading here to help find a solution for my situation as well. I made an account just to post this current fragile workaround.

On my 2019 iMac, I am using desktop video 12.1, and OS X Big Sur 11.4 currently and a fresh install of the desktop video software will recognize my Decklink Duo 2 card as long as I don't restart the computer after install.

I keep the 12.1 installer file on my desktop, and I run the installer after every startup, but DO NOT FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS TO RESTART THE COMPUTER. If the computer needs to be shut down or restarted I just uninstall and install 12.1 Desktop video again and it will work until you restart.

Uli Plank

PostMon Aug 09, 2021 3:56 pm

Ho did you connect TB2 to the TB3 computer?
The only device that works for me is the AKiTiO T3T, and they don't make it any more.
Don't approach Resolve with your expectations from other NLEs! They are all different.
Mac mini M1, 16 GB RAM

adamroberts

PostTue Aug 10, 2021 9:33 am

Uli Plank wrote:Ho did you connect TB2 to the TB3 computer?
The only device that works for me is the AKiTiO T3T, and they don't make it any more.

I've been using the Apple Thunderbolt 2 to Thunderbolt 3 adaptor and has worked just fun until now.

Lindkold

DeckLink Mini Monitor NOT working on Big Sur 11.5.2

PostThu Aug 19, 2021 11:49 am

After the latest update to Big Sur - ver. 11.5.2 - suddenly my external monitor connected via "DeckLink Mini Monitor 4K" had no signal.

The Desktop Video Setup app showed "No Devices Found" - also at the same time - my extra internal SSD and two external spinning HDD - did not show up in Finder.

My solution to getting the disks back online was:
1) Uninstall "Desktop Video Setup" - remove Decklink Card - Reboot
2) Install DeckLink Card + install "Desktop Video Setup" - BUT DO NOT REBOOT.

The second I install "Desktop Video Setup" the SSD/HDD's shows up in finder!?
Also the Desktop Video Setup finds the DeckLink Mini Monitor.
But the external monitor does still not show any signal (since it hasn't rebooted af installing the Desktop Video Setup app).

But at least I get my SSD/HDD's back- Until I reboot!? Then I have to do the whole thing one more time.

What a giant mess - Davinci/Mac has never been so unreliable before as since v. 17.

Uli Plank

PostFri Aug 20, 2021 10:43 am

Something must be wrong with your system.
For me, 17.2.2 under Big Sur has been more reliable than ever, both on Intel and on M1 hardware.

Did you make a clean install of the system? I know it's a drag, but not that hard with the Migration Assistant. I made it a habit over the years to do a clean install for a major system update and found that such a general clean-up makes your system much more reliable by erasing all old leftovers hanging around somewhere.
Mac mini M1, 16 GB RAM

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Aug 20, 2021 11:08 pm

Have you tried opening a Terminal window and typing:

sudo kextutil /Library/Extensions/BlackmagicIO.kext
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Lindkold

PostThu Aug 26, 2021 7:50 am

Uli Plank wrote:Something must be wrong with your system.
For me, 17.2.2 under Big Sur has been more reliable than ever, both on Intel and on M1 hardware.

Did you make a clean install of the system? I know it's a drag, but not that hard with the Migration Assistant. I made it a habit over the years to do a clean install for a major system update and found that such a general clean-up makes your system much more reliable by erasing all old leftovers hanging around somewhere.

Yes, I actually did nuke my entire system and made a complete fresh install.

I also opened a support case with Apple, ran one of their diagnostics tools and send the report to them.They escalated the case to their engineers and came back with no issues on my system. So it's a BM thing.

The second I install "Desktop Video Setup 12.1" I can see my RAID drives. When I reboot, they all disappear again until I reinstall "Desktop Video Setup". And I still can't see my external monitor.

When I install "Desktop Video Setup 12.0" I can see my RAID drives after a reboot. But Davinci still won't play on my external monitor.

I have reached out to BM support and are waiting for a response from them. Hopefully they are aware and able to help.
Last edited by Lindkold on Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lindkold

PostThu Aug 26, 2021 7:51 am

Dwaine Maggart wrote:Have you tried opening a Terminal window and typing:

sudo kextutil /Library/Extensions/BlackmagicIO.kext

Yes, rebooted and tried again with Desktop Video Setup v. 12.0 . That might have done the trick because now the external monitor gets a signal. Thank you very much.

RodHassler

PostFri Sep 10, 2021 6:06 pm

Is there any update when this might be fixed (via v12.2 or however?) I can't get any of these fixes or workarounds to work for me. Is there an option that works NOW I should replace my UltraStudio Mini Monitor with? Any and all advice would be appreciated. Thank you!
OS X El Capitan
v10.11.6

iMac Retina 5k late 2015
Processor 4 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory 32GB 1867 MHz DDR3
Graphics AMD Radeon R9 M396X 4096 MB
Resolve 12.5.0.052

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Sep 13, 2021 10:13 pm

Current Desktop Video versions may not be El Cap compatible.

Try Desktop Video 10.9.5 and see if that works.

Make sure you uninstall any current Desktop Video version that's installed, before you install 10.9.5.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support
Previous

Return to Getting Started