Pocket 4k shuts off while I’m 2 seconds every time I try upd

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Brian Nager

Pocket 4k shuts off while I’m 2 seconds every time I try upd

PostTue Oct 19, 2021 4:28 pm

Hey everyone!!
Thanks for taking the time out to help me!

My camera has earlier firmware:
My BlackMagicDesign pocket 4k camera is one of the first batches shipped out when first introduced. It has still has CDNG, not BRAW, for instance. Saying that in case there are earlier firmware issues that might make this a problem. My firmware version is 6.1.

Why I waited to make switch than to do earlier:
Haven’t wanted to switch to BRAW, but now interested in the added camera functionalities which is what is pushing me over to make the switch. I also have URSA Mini 4.6k that shoots in CDNG… so nice to have all RAW file types the same.

What I’m doing… and here’s my problem:
I just downloaded the Camera Setup Utility to update firmware to version 7.4.1…. But every time I try to update the camera shuts off.

What I’ve tried:
I have tried different USB 1.0 and 2.0 and 3.0 to USB-C cables. Each time same problem. I have tried it while camera is powered by D-Tap, wall, internal battery and even with dummy battery. Each time, same problem.

My power is uninterrupted. Other than the camera deciding to shut itself off every time I try to update.

I’ve taken lenses off and anything else plugged in… I heard that can mess with update, though I don’t know personally. There are also no SD or CFast cards in the slot.

My computer is a MAC and OS is Catalina.

When I google this, I’ve never seen a post or website mention this. I’ve only seen mention of making sure to have a good power source so it doesn’t shut off during update, as that would be bad. And unfortunately that is all my camera wants to do :) lol

Has anyone else ever had this problem?!
Thanks so much everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rick.lang

Re: Pocket 4k shuts off while I’m 2 seconds every time I try

PostThu Oct 21, 2021 5:01 pm

Brian, the latest update for the BMPCC4K is firmware release 7.3. Using 7.4.x shouldn’t make a difference, but one more thing to try. Your post is very complete and eliminates the usual suspects. When you download the ZIP file from the BMD Support page, double click to open the .dmg file. Then delete the current version of the setup app on your computer using the control provided. After deleting it, then update the Setup app. BMD recommends always deletion of the current software installed before installing the new version on your computer.

I always update with the camera powered by the mains (wall) connector via the appropriate power adapter. Start the update on your Mac with the USB cable connected to the camera; then power on the camera. The computer app should identify the camera as running version 6.1 and than as if you want to update the camera.
Rick Lang

Return to Cinematography