Pocket Cinema Camera 4K powering from battery

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

nicolap

Pocket Cinema Camera 4K powering from battery

PostFri Dec 03, 2021 10:09 am

Hi all,
from the specification it seems that the camera can run from a 12-20V DC input.
But the power connector is labeled "12V Power".
Can someone confirm that I can use that connector to power the camera from, eg. an automotive battery (12-14V)?
Thanks

Mark Foster

Re: Pocket Cinema Camera 4K powering from battery

PostFri Dec 03, 2021 12:18 pm

cMP 5.1 2x3,46/96GB/2x2TB SSD/4x4TB/7101A 4x2TB 970evo+/HP1344/BMD4k/RadeonVII
macOS 12.6.3
BMPCC 6k pro (7.9.1)
meike s35 cine 25mm, 35mm, 50mm, 75mm
resolve studio 18.1.4
mini panel
speed editor
desktop video 12.1
intensity pro 4k
atem extreme (8.6.1)

nicolap

PostFri Dec 03, 2021 3:02 pm

Mark Foster wrote:https://documents.blackmagicdesign.com/UserManuals/BlackmagicPocketCinemaCameraManual.pdf?_v=1619420411000

Of course I already RTFM...
The manual is not clear: at pages 7 and 8 it says that the USB can be up to 20V and call the power connector "12V DC power input".
But they sell the Cable Pack that contains also a D-Tap connector: normally rated more than 14V.
So, from my point of view, the manual is ambiguous :(
N

Mark Foster

PostFri Dec 03, 2021 3:59 pm

f you have read that this connection can be operated from 10.6V to 20V,
then the 14.4V of a V-mount battery also falls within this range.

however, if a monitor is also powered by this v-mount battery,
the order of connection and disconnection is important to avoid
damaging the HDMI chip in the camera.

what is described here with SDI also applies to HDMI!

https://www.newsshooter.com/2020/02/15/ ... i-outputs/

cMP 5.1 2x3,46/96GB/2x2TB SSD/4x4TB/7101A 4x2TB 970evo+/HP1344/BMD4k/RadeonVII
macOS 12.6.3
BMPCC 6k pro (7.9.1)
meike s35 cine 25mm, 35mm, 50mm, 75mm
resolve studio 18.1.4
mini panel
speed editor
desktop video 12.1
intensity pro 4k
atem extreme (8.6.1)

smunaut

PostSat Dec 04, 2021 9:35 am

nicolap wrote:The manual is not clear: at pages 7 and 8 it says that the USB can be up to 20V and call the power connector "12V DC power input".
But they sell the Cable Pack that contains also a D-Tap connector: normally rated more than 14V.
So, from my point of view, the manual is ambiguous :(
N

The USB-C input rating is irrelevant for the DC input. That could very well go to a different power circuit inside (and most likely does since the DC input doesn't go as low as the USB input does).

It's called "12V DC power input" just because it's what the power adapter provides by default and it's just the "nominal" voltage. However if you look at the specifications page 32 for custom power solutions, it clearly states "The DC input is rated from 10.8V to 20V max" so anything in that range will work and not cause damage. Anything above that could (like no 24V for instance).

Also, you mentioned automotive, not sure if you were thinking of directly powering from a battery inside a vehicule, but usually the power rails on a car are insanely noisy and can have power spikes way above that voltage rating. So make sure to have heavy filtering and protection circuitry in place. Without it, at best it could result in noise in the image and at worst a fried camera.
Resolve Studio - Ryzen 5800X3D - AMD RX6600 / NVidia RTX 4070 (switching between the 2) - Linux

nicolap

PostSat Dec 04, 2021 10:34 am

smunaut wrote:The USB-C input rating is irrelevant for the DC input. That could very well go to a different power circuit inside (and most likely does since the DC input doesn't go as low as the USB input does).
Yes, you're right.

smunaut wrote:It's called "12V DC power input" just because it's what the power adapter provides by default and it's just the "nominal" voltage. However if you look at the specifications page 32 for custom power solutions, it clearly states "The DC input is rated from 10.8V to 20V max" so anything in that range will work and not cause damage. Anything above that could (like no 24V for instance).
Thank you! I haven't read before this paragraph :( My fault.

smunaut wrote:Also, you mentioned automotive, not sure if you were thinking of directly powering from a battery inside a vehicule, but usually the power rails on a car are insanely noisy and can have power spikes way above that voltage rating. So make sure to have heavy filtering and protection circuitry in place. Without it, at best it could result in noise in the image and at worst a fried camera.
Of course you are right. I will use only the battery, without the car! In this case I'm in the field and a small battery can provide some hours of use.
Many thanks!
Nicola

Denny Smith

PostSun Dec 05, 2021 2:44 am

If you are using a large wet cell or AGM type battery, you need to add a fuse inline on the positive connection. Do not just connect a large amperage storage type battery to,yiur camera without providing fuse protection. Also a commercially made battery management system (BMS) is a good way to utilize large battery units to power camera p, accessories and monitors without ground loop issues. A good BMS isolates several,power outputs from the late battery connection. These were populate in the late 20th century for powering large Batacams used in ENG productions, as well as field audio recording setups.

That said, you might be better served using 14.5 volt camera battery packs, that are designed for powering today’s modern cameras. Lithium battery technology has replaced the old large acid cell based batteries. The new c,area battery kits are more compact, lighter and provide plenty of power for a day long shoot.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Johannes Jonsson

PostSun Dec 05, 2021 12:42 pm

nicolap wrote:Hi all,
Can someone confirm that I can use that connector to power the camera from, eg. an automotive battery (12-14V)?
Thanks

If you mean automotive as from a car then I recommend using inverter ( Preferable: Pure Sine Wave Inverter) to the power adapter for the camera.
Johannes

nicolap

PostSun Dec 05, 2021 12:51 pm

Johannes Jonsson wrote:
nicolap wrote:Hi all,
Thanks

If you mean automotive as from a car then I recommend using inverter ( Preferable: Pure Sine Wave Inverter) to the power adapter for the camera.

I dont think so: it would add two conversions, no advantages, more losses and more noise.

smunaut

PostSun Dec 05, 2021 1:14 pm

Yeah, going through an inverter, especially a pure sine wave one, is wasteful.

You have your inverter going to great length to convert the high voltage DC pulses it produces internally into a good looking sine wave ... just to have your BMPCC power adapter take that sine wave and rectify it and hash it into high voltage dc pulses ...
Resolve Studio - Ryzen 5800X3D - AMD RX6600 / NVidia RTX 4070 (switching between the 2) - Linux

Johannes Jonsson

PostMon Dec 06, 2021 1:56 pm

Ok, wasteful or not lets call it my personal preference then, pure sine wave is my choice for all devices I am powering from cars.
Johannes

Return to Cinematography