Blackmagic Video Assist 4K microphone suggestions

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Margaret Bengtson

Blackmagic Video Assist 4K microphone suggestions

PostMon Feb 27, 2017 5:42 pm

Hi,
I am trying to determine what type of microphone works best with the Blackmagic Video Assist 4K. I will be recording outside so I need decent sensitivity and low self noise. I have read that the Rode NTG-2 shotgun microphone is good for this application but it needs a more sensitive preamp. Will the BMVA4K unit work with this mic without an external preamp? Is there a better choice?

Also, when using phantom power supplied by the BMVA4K, what is the drain on the battery? I understand that in some preamps, phantom power drains them pretty fast.

Thanks,
Margaret
Alienware Aurora R5
Intel Core i7 6700, 3.4 GHz
16GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 with 8GB GDDR5
Samsung T3 Portable SSD - 250GB
Win 10 Home
DaVinci Resolve 12.5.4

Margaret Bengtson

Re: Blackmagic Video Assist 4K microphone suggestions

PostFri Mar 03, 2017 9:21 pm

I used a SONY ECM-MS907 battery powered stereo mic with a 3.5mm plug going thru a splitter to standard XLR then into the Blackmagic XLR to mini XLR adapter cables. The result was that I can now record sound on both channels using the mic inputs. However, the sensitivity settings had to be put up to full scale to get the same level of sound that I got using the internal microphone and preamp of the Nikon D750. I would like to get more microphone sensitivity.

Is this because the preamp in the BMDVA4K isn't as sensitive as the Nikon or is that the unit only takes XLR powered microphones? I am considering a RØDE VideoMic PRO stereo mic which uses a 9V battery and has a 20dB boost mode. Will this overcome the problem?

Margaret
Alienware Aurora R5
16GB RAM
Win 10 Home
DaVinci Resolve 12.5.4

Denny Smith

PostFri Mar 03, 2017 9:37 pm

Margaret, using unbalanced Mic's in a balanced input is your main issue. Yes, the XLR will provide phantom power to Mic's requiring this. That said, the Video Pro is still an unbalanced hiZ mic. You need to get a balanced loZ mic like a Seenheiser ME 66 or 64 for a small shotgun style mic to use directly with the VA4K to take full advantage of the VA's mic preamps. The Videomic Pro you could plug directly onto the camera's unbalanced mic input, and let the audio go to the VA with the video signal via HDMI. Rhode also makes a stereo version.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Margaret Bengtson

PostSun Mar 05, 2017 12:36 pm

Thanks for the reply. I'll look into those options. As you might recall, the Nikon D500 that I use doesn't cooperate with the BMVA4K in passing audio through the HDMI so I am left with using the audio ports.
Alienware Aurora R5
16GB RAM
Win 10 Home
DaVinci Resolve 12.5.4

Denny Smith

PostTue Mar 07, 2017 6:03 am

Yes, I remember now.
Cheers Margaret.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Colin McDonald

PostTue Mar 14, 2017 10:15 pm

If it's not too late, some comments:
Sorry I don't have the mini XLR adaptor leads for the BMVA 4K or I would try it out for you.
On the plus side, the Rode NTG2 will work from an internal AA battery, but as stated, it is much less sensitive than the ME66 and will need the gain cranked up quite a bit more.
Also, since you have mentioned using the mic outside, the Rode will definitely need gaffer tape or PVC tape over the HPF switch and the XLR connector if there is any wind. A Rycote softie will stop wind noise from the front, but its the rear end that's the problem. Or you could stick the thing in a Zepplin. :)
The Videomic Pro (mono ) has a similar problem – not sure about the stereo version.

Do you need to record in stereo? ME66 or the Rode will give you one channel of audio, you could fix that in post with your NLE or find a splitter (preferrably active) to send to both channels on the BMVA 4K. A splitter cable probably won't cut it, even with the ME66.
Last edited by Colin McDonald on Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Margaret Bengtson

PostWed Mar 15, 2017 12:36 am

Thank you, Colin. That is lots of useful information. I am still pondering how to proceed. I think the ME66 would be best for me and I can copy the audio track to the other channel. However, it is quite out of my budget. Maybe the Rode...

Margaret
Alienware Aurora R5
16GB RAM
Win 10 Home
DaVinci Resolve 12.5.4

Denny Smith

PostWed Mar 15, 2017 1:48 am

Margaret, used ME66 are available on EBay every now and then at good prices. Not too much can go wrong with one. This is how I got mine.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

CptCurk

PostTue Nov 03, 2020 5:56 pm

Hey guys !

I'm taking out that topic for some suggestions... Got the VA 7" 12G HDR.
And surprisingly, the K6 + ME66. But it's ain't good for me. I can't get a good sound. For interview style, sound up to +6dB in the VA... If the guys is screaming at 1 meter of the mic, I'll get something like -25dB... Imagine while speaking normally...

Do you guys experienced something like that somehow ? Do you know what mic works for you with the BM VA 7" HDR 12G (wtf is that name xD)

best regards,
Macbook Pro M1 MAX 32CoreGPU and 64Gb of ram.
Davinci 18.1.3

Shooting Fujifilm X-T3 & Blackmagic Video Assist 7" HDR with Miller Tripod.

hopkins802

PostTue Jan 25, 2022 7:26 pm

CptCurk wrote:Hey guys !

I'm taking out that topic for some suggestions... Got the VA 7" 12G HDR.
And surprisingly, the K6 + ME66. But it's ain't good for me. I can't get a good sound. For interview style, sound up to +6dB in the VA... If the guys is screaming at 1 meter of the mic, I'll get something like -25dB... Imagine while speaking normally...

Do you guys experienced something like that somehow ? Do you know what mic works for you with the BM VA 7" HDR 12G (wtf is that name xD)

best regards,

Yeah, I'm doing some testing right now and i'm finding that the pre-amps are super, super dampened. I have the Azden SGM-250MX and the xlr inputs all the way up to +50db, and it's still quiet. Probably going to return it and go another route.
Mac Studio M1 Ultra 20C CPU | 64C GPU | 64GB RAM | 1TB SSD
LG 42" OLED C2

CptCurk

PostMon Feb 14, 2022 7:32 am

hopkins802 wrote:+50db, and it's still quiet. Probably going to return it and go another route.

Hey,

It was quite old topic and I was answering on an other topic. The problem was solved with an update. The big issue was that : in mic or line mode, it was leveling as line.

Try to updatee first ! :)
Macbook Pro M1 MAX 32CoreGPU and 64Gb of ram.
Davinci 18.1.3

Shooting Fujifilm X-T3 & Blackmagic Video Assist 7" HDR with Miller Tripod.

Return to Getting Started